PDA

View Full Version : LB7 fuel in oil

cobaltboats
05-12-2012, 18:26
Hello
Ive been reading here for years to learn about my 03 duramax w/105000mi. Now I need some help. A few weeks ago I had the oil changed everything was fine. Then a few days later I noticed a strong fuel smell. I looked for leaks and found #6 injector line leaking at the fuel rail. I took it to the dealer they took the line off cleaned it up and put it back on, no leaks. A few days later I still smelled fuel so I pulled the dip stick found it was a little over full. Then I also noticed wet fuel on the motor on the passenger side of the motor. Took it to the dealer again and found #3 injector line leaking at the fuel rail. they took it off cleaned it up and put it back on, no leaks. The next day I pulled the dip stick and now it was about a quart over full. First thought was injectors, But no smoke, runs fine, good power. I checked balance rates with my trusty Preditor. Here they are. What do you guys think?

park / drive
#1= .94 .26
#2= -.48 -.26
#3= -3.27 -2.64
#4= .57 -.15
#5= 1.02 -.23
#6= .71 -.18
#7= -1.32 -.76
#8= -4.05 -3.42

cobaltboats
05-15-2012, 16:39
Hello
Ive been reading here for years to learn about my 03 duramax w/105000mi. Now I need some help. A few weeks ago I had the oil changed everything was fine. Then a few days later I noticed a strong fuel smell. I looked for leaks and found #6 injector line leaking at the fuel rail. I took it to the dealer they took the line off cleaned it up and put it back on, no leaks. A few days later I still smelled fuel so I pulled the dip stick found it was a little over full. Then I also noticed wet fuel on the motor on the passenger side of the motor. Took it to the dealer again and found #3 injector line leaking at the fuel rail. they took it off cleaned it up and put it back on, no leaks. The next day I pulled the dip stick and now it was about a quart over full. First thought was injectors, But no smoke, runs fine, good power. I checked balance rates with my trusty Preditor. Here they are. What do you guys think?

park / drive
#1= .94 .26
#2= -.48 -.26
#3= -3.27 -2.64
#4= .57 -.15
#5= 1.02 -.23
#6= .71 -.18
#7= -1.32 -.76
#8= -4.05 -3.42Hopefully this new info will help get a response

684rpm
188degree ECT
150degree IAT
140degree fuel temp
5.06 MAF
13.9 MAP
-4.01 main injector
36.85% FRP
34.95 FP
34.00 Desired FP
PWM
1= .4
2= .3
3= .2
4= .4
5= .4
6= .4
7= .3
8= .1
Balance rate
park drive
1= 2.5 2.92
2= -1.82 -.94
3= -3.82 -2.69
4= -.02 -.43
5= 1.55 .15
6= 1.0 -.18
7= -1.57 -1.46
8= -4.49 -3.61

DmaxMaverick
05-15-2012, 20:21
It looks like you'll be due for injectors, soon if not sooner. Balance rates, by themselves, don't mean much. The PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) nearly completes the story. It appears #8 is defueling significantly, with #3 not far behind. Keep in mind, the Predator cylinder order is not correct, so don't use this info to chase a single injector (which is bad practice, in any case). If it runs well and smooth, and doesn't smoke, there's no reason for immediate alarm, yet. Prepare for the big job in the future, though. The rules change if you find fuel in the oil (expedite).

cobaltboats
05-16-2012, 04:58
It looks like you'll be due for injectors, soon if not sooner. Balance rates, by themselves, don't mean much. The PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) nearly completes the story. It appears #8 is defueling significantly, with #3 not far behind. Keep in mind, the Predator cylinder order is not correct, so don't use this info to chase a single injector (which is bad practice, in any case). If it runs well and smooth, and doesn't smoke, there's no reason for immediate alarm, yet. Prepare for the big job in the future, though. The rules change if you find fuel in the oil (expedite). Thanks Dmax I have an appointment with the dealer today. The dealer said $3950 complete with oil change. Not a pleasant senerio but necessary. I ordered new injector lines and fuel treatment from Kennedy diesel. John is great to deal with. You guys are all very professional and do great service to all here on TDP.

Kennedy
05-16-2012, 05:47
Add a Mega filter kit and lift pump as well.

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2012, 05:58
If it's been a few years since the last one, you may consider adding a coolant service as well at the same time. They'll do it at the same time, and it minimizes headaches if they lift an injector sleeve during the replacement (prevents coolant leakage into the cylinders). $3950 is a good price for the job at a dealer, according to the trend (can be $5K+).

cobaltboats
05-16-2012, 13:15
They found just what you said . But the tech said he wouldn't do injectors right now if it was his truck. I ask what about the fuel in the oil. he said it was not that bad. I said well it sure smells strong in the cab. I said lets do the injectors anyway. They have my truck I have a rental:( I just had the coolant flushed a week or so ago. I'm having them change the T-stats and I'm thinking about the lift pump. Lot of $$$$$ I must take it a little at a time. I drove a new one today, nice but expensive. Thanks again fella's:)

DmaxMaverick
05-16-2012, 18:08
They found just what you said . But the tech said he wouldn't do injectors right now if it was his truck. I ask what about the fuel in the oil. he said it was not that bad. I said well it sure smells strong in the cab. I said lets do the injectors anyway. They have my truck I have a rental:( I just had the coolant flushed a week or so ago. I'm having them change the T-stats and I'm thinking about the lift pump. Lot of $$$$$ I must take it a little at a time. I drove a new one today, nice but expensive. Thanks again fella's:)

Not that bad??? ANY fuel (that can be detected without a lab test) is WAY too much. It came from somewhere, and fuel leaks don't heal themselves. They get worse, and never at a convenient time or place. If you've confirmed fuel in your oil, good call on getting it done now.

Definitely take John's advice, as you can afford it (doesn't have to be done all at once). The Mega Filter is MEGA big, but fits nicely. Ultra fine filtration that lasts a LONG time when installed between the OEM filter and engine. A little fender liner modification may be necessary, if you have 33" tires. It's been covered in detail before by me and others. No biggie, really.

Mark Rinker
05-17-2012, 08:18
My .02 for things to do when under the hood for injector replacement:

thermostats
serpentine belt/idler pulley if over 100K miles in service
glow plugs / connectors

cobaltboats
05-21-2012, 08:46
Hey Guys I picked it up Satuday. $4144 out the door. They said lifetime warranty on the injectors. Runs like new. Still getting a little fuel in oil. Still has fuel smell coming in through the A/C when driving. Whats next injector pump seals?

leolkfrm
06-24-2012, 18:22
gm has extended the waranty on glow plugs and injectors to 200,000 mi