PDA

View Full Version : S model 6.5 losing power

ccc
05-20-2012, 18:59
I have a 1997 6.5 S model Turbo. The truck abruptly started running rough and nearly stalled. Barely made it off the road into a lot. I replaced the remotely mounted pmd and the truck started right up, and ran great for about two minutes. Then it surged at idle like it wanted to take off. I have codes 236,238 and 406. It idles fine and runs okay until it has run for about ten minutes then it seems that only the first third of the pedal works. At about 1700 rpm the truck flattens out. No mater how much pedal you put in it doesn't gain any rpm. On a hill, the truck pulls down. I limped it home but it ran between 50 and 60 at 1700 rpm. No smoke, cuts out a little. Any help is appreciated.

racer55
05-21-2012, 09:16
Your codes are all vacuum related IMHO.
P0236 Turbocharger Boost System

P0238 Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit High Voltage

P0406 EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage

I would say that you experienced a de-fuel situation from a boost or map sensor related problem-or lack of boost when called for.
Since the vac pump is responsible for providing vacuum to the boost solenoid and in turn the wastegate actuator,and it also gives vacuum to the EGR solenoid.
Check the vac pump and all vac lines for cracks or leaks and that it is able to provide vacuum at the proper level.

An alternative solution is a wiring problem.

DaveBr
05-21-2012, 20:14
Check your cat to see if it is plugged. 3 bolts on a flange in front of the cat, spread it apart from the turbo down pipe and take it for a ride.

ccc
05-21-2012, 21:58
Thanks all for the help, after checking the suggested remedies, I did what I should have done to start with, check the fuel filter and what I found is just strange. If I did this right, I attached a picture of the inside of the fuel filter cannister. I found what looks like silver paint, or amazingly thin alum shavings. I also found the lift pump was really weak so I figured the pump was going out and was causing the flotsum. I put in a new lift pump and ran about 2 liters of fuel directly from the new pump through a poly tube into a bottle and, still have the silver stuff. Not hardly any but a few pieces. The weird thing is, two years ago I put a new pickup tube in the tank and it has a sock on it. There is no way this stuff is going through the sock! It is almost as if the inside of the fuel line is flaking off or something. I built a new fuel line from the lift pump to the filter cannister, took the cannister off and cleaned it out, cleaned out the line from the filter to the IP and put it all back together. I think this weekend I will drop the tank and build a new line from the tank to the lift pump too. Any ideas what that is? Oh and I still have to address the turbo issue too.

racer55
05-21-2012, 22:44
Good chance it is the coating inside the tank.

The diesel fuel sock is a fairly coarse mesh and would allow small flakes through.

You will likely need a new last chance screen in the filter housing,it is on the fuel heater mast in the center and is stanadyne part#29244.

ccc
05-22-2012, 07:28
Thanks Racer55, Do you think this will keep up? I don't understand why it is happening now, or what the potential is. Should I buy a new tank?

racer55
05-22-2012, 07:37
Check with your local rad shop,they can often coat the inside of the tank to stop the problem.
Not sure of the cost though?