PDA

View Full Version : Additives to Improve Fuel Mileage

marshur
04-14-2005, 09:31
Would like some advice on a diesel fuel additives to improve my fuel mileage.

What about SWEPCO 501? Link: http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/CARE/POR_CARE_swepco_pg8.htm

OR Power Plus Diesel Fuel Treatment
Link: http://www.bign.com/Order/thermo_hd/diesel_fuel_treatment.htm

OR LUCAS ???

silverback
04-14-2005, 16:24
I use Power Service Diesel Kleen and Cetane Boost. Increasing the cetane level should result in higher MPG. I know in some parts of the country there are premium blends of diesel with higher cetane content. Bio-diesel has a higher cetane content then petro-diesel. A lot of people like the Stanadyne additive too. I've been meaning to try it.
-KL

madmatt
04-14-2005, 19:05
GM does not recommend the use of any fuel additive but they do go on to say that if you do use any, use Stanadyne. My dealer dosen't but some out there may give you the run around on warrenty issues if they find out you've been using non-recommended additives. At least the Stanadyne name appears in writing in a bulletin that says "if any is to be used, use Stanadyne". That way if they give you any lip, you can just refer to the bulletin.

Kennedy
04-15-2005, 05:52
My recommendation is FPPF Total Power, and if the dealer ever asks, tell him you were running Stanadyne. Stanadyne is not bad by any means, I just feel that FPPF is better and MUCH better than Power Service and most other additives.

mjammer
04-16-2005, 04:38
Curious why you like FPPF over Stanadyne? What differences have you seen between the two? Thanks.

Kennedy
04-18-2005, 11:03
I prefer to handle removal of (small amounts) water via emulsification so that it is gone rather than try to catch the droplets in the separator which obviously does not work or we'd see an accumulation of water here.

mjammer
04-18-2005, 19:39
Originally posted by kennedy:
I prefer to handle removal of (small amounts) water via emulsification so that it is gone rather than try to catch the droplets in the separator which obviously does not work or we'd see an accumulation of water here. Dang, and I was hoping for some elaborate, scientific, technical explanation :D Thanks for the info. It just seems odd that GM pushes the water seperator concept so much and Stanadyne as an additive when the idea of emulsifying it and burnin it off sounds so much safer. I wonder if it is because some of the emulsifiers are alcohol based and that is too much risk to say you can use an emulsifier but limit the types and the seperator concept is just easier. Anyway, thanks again.

By the way, how far is you shop from Green Bay or from Iron Mt./Kingsford, MI area? My in-laws are from up there and was curious if I could justify a detour sometime.

Kennedy
04-19-2005, 11:27
There's been a lot of debate on this in the past so I felt a simplified answer was best. I've had awesome results with the FPPF product.

I'm just a few clicks north of the geographical center of the state.

Bowties4Life
04-20-2005, 11:54
Is there a web site for FPPF product.
Or can you just go to any parts store and
buy this stuff.

Kennedy
04-20-2005, 12:18
FPPF is at www.fppf.com (http://www.fppf.com)

I have it available on my site under Lubricants/oils This section will be renamed as Fuel Treatments shortly.

mdadgar
04-20-2005, 19:57
Originally posted by kennedy:
I've had awesome results with the FPPF product. What does "awesome results" mean in the context of a fuel additive?

Enquiring minds etc etc etc.

- Mark

Kennedy
04-21-2005, 05:01
Quieter operation, cleaner startups, 0 injector problems, and a nice gain in mpg. Most noticeable if I forget to add it...

Bowties4Life
04-22-2005, 13:18
Thanks for the web site.