PDA

View Full Version : DS-4 831-5521 vs DB2 831-4911

Vin82k3500
05-26-2012, 19:37
I know it may sound crazy but my reasoning is that I was looking into an obdII link gauge set that is the size of a gps and I have all the stuff to put the ds4 and pcm and all the other stuff from the 2004 workhourse I just took the engine from is it worth the swap or should I just keep the db2 4911

Vin82k3500
05-26-2012, 19:40
I know its tough the 4911 is so:confused: reliable

DaveBr
05-26-2012, 21:07
Keep the DB2. All mechanical, bullet proof and easy to trouble shoot. If you want more power then turn the pump up. A lot cheaper than reprogramming the ECM. When I find a low milage 93 I will buy it and sell the 98.

Vin82k3500
05-27-2012, 06:58
the power isnt so much the issue it is that I want to run an edge insight cts to monitor my egt boost and rpms and all the other engine management stuff I have am very electically savy so wiring to me is as easy as drinking a coffee in the morning or a beer in the evening. if there is annother monitor I can get that will do all this that would be great I dont want to put a bunch of gauges in my truck if I can use this instead the thing is I have the insight cts and all the stuff to put the full electronic set up in but maybey I can just put the newer tps on the db2 and run the pcm with that so I can use my insight cts this requires an obdII interface thats why I was considering using the ds4

Vin82k3500
05-27-2012, 07:00
actually I think that will work I will check today when I go in the garage maybey I can interface that with the pcm generically all I want it for is engine monitoring

Robyn
05-27-2012, 07:42
I agree with Dave, keep the DB2

I have spent many years dealing with the DS4 issues.

I would eat my way through a mile of broken or otherwise F'd up DS 4 junk to have a DB2

Simplicity is the name of the game, which equates to reliability

The military Hummer doe not have the DS pumps, why, because they are junk.

If you just want to fiddle with the electronics and enjoy a near constant running battle or at least the worry of such, then the DS4 is OK

The DS4 has got to be the biggest mess as far as a fuel injection system thats ever come along.

I will give it this though, WHEN its working right, it has very good driveability characteristics.

Just get one bad ground or poor connection or another component that's got an issue and is backfeeding into the system and the issues can literally drive you nuts.

A friend had a 97 Burb with the DS4 and it was a POS from the day he got it off the showroom floor.

Nobody could ever get it to work right.

He kept it for 8 months and then Off'd it.

The DS4 is a real bum jump IMHO

Missy

Vin82k3500
05-27-2012, 13:19
all that being said I dont want to compromise how great this thing runs with my new p400 engine I think I will just hook up the 2004 pcm and splice in the tps all I want to do is monitor my egt and boost with the edge cts that I bought last year it needs obdII interface all my turbo components are from a 99 model year engine as that was my donor turbo truck it ran and all the sensors and pcm and wiring still in tact so I just want the obdII interface for my edge cts that was the only reason I was considering the swap

DaveBr
05-28-2012, 20:04
If you want to monitor your boost and egt then get an a-pillar guage set. I think you should seriously take into consideration what Robin posted. Reliability means a lot to me. I'd rather be driving than scratching my head over all the codes that can and will come up.

Vin82k3500
05-28-2012, 20:22
the a pillar set has crossed my mind resources here for that stuff sucks im looking a nearly a grand for this I have all the stuff like I said I would consider jusst installing the pcm and hooking up the sensors so I can monitor the engine all the sensores are on the engine it wouldnt take much I do agree with robyn and you both its just that I have terrible resources I did find a used set with an egt and pyro for 375 it just seems like a lot of dough when I have all the other stuff even if I make it work with the db2 wich would not be hard but then again i just dumped 12 grand into the engine turbo intercooler and and some aother stuff whats 375 for a set of gauges

Vin82k3500
05-28-2012, 20:29
the a pillar set has crossed my mind resources here for that stuff sucks im looking a nearly a grand for this I have all the stuff like I said I would consider jusst installing the pcm and hooking up the sensors so I can monitor the engine all the sensores are on the engine it wouldnt take much I do agree with robyn and you both its just that I have terrible resources I did find a used set with an egt and pyro for 375 it just seems like a lot of dough when I have all the other stuff even if I make it work with the db2 wich would not be hard but then again i just dumped 12 grand into the engine turbo intercooler and and some aother stuff whats 375 for a set of gauges
and i meant keeping the db2 pump just hooking up the pcm I dont want to make it less than it is it runs awesome