PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket- costs?

nopower65
02-02-2004, 13:53
Seems the head gasket is leaking into the coolant. Question: How much should I budget to have the head gaskets replaced? IS it even worth doing on an engine with 220,000 miles?

Possible sources for 6.5 heads (given this truck only has the WORST happen to it) in case a head has a crack?

What has been others' experiences with this problem? Power seems ok, just have a fluctuating temp gauge and heat that comes and goes.

thanks-

:(

Wheat Whacker
02-02-2004, 14:31
Just had mine replace it cost around $2000 total for both head gaskets(no sense in just doing one) and a couple other things since they were already in there. Just the head gaskets alone with labor was right around $1800 if I remember right but that was at my local dealer too. A good Diesel shop maybe less.

Randee of the Redwoods
02-02-2004, 15:43
Speak of the devil. I just had mine replaced, too. Only one was leaking, but I went ahead and had both done(180,000 miles). I had a dealer do it only because the mechanic I chose came recommended. I was quoted $1880.00 to replace both headgaskets. I had so much done at once it's difficult to separate the actual cost from the bill.

whatnot
02-02-2004, 18:41
Mine cost $1800 but I should have gone to the dealer instead.
They would have been a little cheaper.

My brother is having his done right now. The shop he took it to said that it won't be over $1200

bnmccoy
02-02-2004, 19:04
I would think that with 220,000 miles you would want to do more than just head gaskets; for the amount of labor to pay someone to take care of the heads you might be better off to get a rebuilt engine and have them install it. Unless they are familiar with 6.5s and the typical cracks between the intake and exhaust valves they will be wanting to replace your heads instead of the sleeve repair to coolant passage as described by Jim.

When mine blew the head gasket at somewhere around 110,000 miles I repaired it myself.

I think the two head gaskets and the new sets of TTY (torque to yield) bolts ran somewhere between $80-$95.

Then there is the manifold gaskets, sleeving the coolant passages below the superficial cracks between the valve seats, proper sealant for head bolts, new bench grinder with wire wheel to remove FelPro factory sealant from new head bolts, new torque wrench that would fit the tight area of the rear bolt on passenger side head, new plastic 'keepers' for rocker arms, oh yea - valve cover gaskets, new coolant, more deionized water, thread locking compound, zip lock bags for part identification......

I probably spent less than $225 on parts and materials. Borrowed an engine lift to lift the heads out (block stayed in truck). My truck was down 4-5 weeks while I worked on it several evenings a week.

I am now approaching my 200,000 mile mark.

Good luck,

Bob