PDA

View Full Version : Been around for a while, few pics

greatwhite
05-30-2012, 04:24
I've been around for a while and have been active on other forums.

Now I'm just looking for a nice quiet place to hang my hat on the web.

I've been lurking for a while and "The Page" seems to be nice and quiet with a polite group of members, so I think I'll give it a try here for a while.

Here's some pics of my rig doing one of its jobs:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/1755ee92-1.jpg

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/1237d529-1.jpg

stats:

1998 K2500, 4l80E, 4:10, 8600 GVWR.

New Optimizer from GM parts installed about 15,000 kms ago.

New GM8 installed about a year ago.

Devil's Own progressive WMI.

Other stuff like a 4" exhaust, fluidampr, etc are also in the mix.

I tune my own PCM's with TunercatII, but I also have a PCM that was done by Bill heath that I use from time to time.

There's lots of other things done to it and I'm into the truck for around $17,000-$18,000 including purchase price.

I don't have access to a dyno, so I tune and test with an accelerometer program:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/photo.jpg

Calculates out to 300 crank HP.

That's in daily driver configuration. It's docile and quiet until you get on it hard.

Not too bad for and old truck with a new engine.

:cool:

More Power
05-30-2012, 12:33
Welcome to the board! Glad you're here. Nice looking truck, and it sounds as though you have it running pretty well.

Jim

greatwhite
05-30-2012, 12:49
Mr postman brought me a present today:

http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/2335520.jpg

It'll go with this:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/DSC03891.jpg

lilymonster
05-30-2012, 20:40
Good looking/performing set up. That Iphone/pod app look pretty cool. The intake hat from Peninsular diesel is something I've been considering looking into both for CUCV project I'm working on and also for a possible intercooler build on a 6.5TD like yours. What are your plans for procuring pipes/clamps, etc to go with that good looking intercooler grid.

greatwhite
06-01-2012, 03:30
Good looking/performing set up. That Iphone/pod app look pretty cool. The intake hat from Peninsular diesel is something I've been considering looking into both for CUCV project I'm working on and also for a possible intercooler build on a 6.5TD like yours. What are your plans for procuring pipes/clamps, etc to go with that good looking intercooler grid.

It's a decent little app, supposedly as accurate as a Gtech. One of the mainstream magazines tested it against a Gtech IIRC. Only problem with these things is; garbage in, garbage out. You have to get the weight right when you input it or the results are all wrong. I took mine to the scales prior to doing my runs so it's pretty close. The other thing is drivetrain losses. Who ever knows how much you loos there? Could be more, could be less. It's guess at best.

It took me forever to get it past the 200-210 hp mark. There's a few very distinct issues in the design to overcome to get past that point. The Optimizer was a great help there. The rest was component selection/refinement and working the calibration. The power is in there, it's just releasing it that's the problem....

Although it's no Duramax (although it's knocking on a stock Duramax's front door), but I'm pleased with the results so far.

I plan on buying some pre-bent pipe and fabbing it up myself with the cut off saw, welder and a bead roller.

Haven't diecided on mild steel and have it coated, stainless or aluminum. I can fab the mild steel myself, but then I'd have to send it out for coating. I can do all the aluminum and stainless fab right up to the welding, I'd have to send it out for that.

Coated pipes will have nice thermal properties, aluminum and stainless are "set it and forget it". Still back and forth on which to use.....

The intercooler has to be modified, it's from a 93 Dodge/Cummins and isn't wide enough to clear the rad. I'll take it to a shop for that. I have access to a Tig, but I'm not good enough with it to do it proper. It a bit small, but I know one guy supporting 500hp in a Cummins with that cooler so it should support my power levels just fine. Once it's all fabbed up, slipping in a larger one is an easier proposition if I need more later on.

Boots can be had nearly anywhere these days and some "t" clamps will finish it all off.

greatwhite
06-01-2012, 03:43
Welcome to the board! Glad you're here. Nice looking truck, and it sounds as though you have it running pretty well.

Jim

Sorry Jim, missed your post.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm thinking about buying a membership, but I haven't quite made that leap yet......

sctrailrider
06-04-2012, 06:31
Sorry Jim, missed your post.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm thinking about buying a membership, but I haven't quite made that leap yet......

I'm glad to see you here, it's a LOT more civil here than the TTS.....

As for the membership, it will be the best 25$ you have spent in a while... LOTS of good reading & info on the member side....

Robyn
06-04-2012, 06:55
Welcome aboard.

Great looking outfit

The troops here are always helpful and eager to get their hands dirty :D

Missy

greatwhite
06-04-2012, 14:33
I'm glad to see you here, it's a LOT more civil here than the TTS.....

As for the membership, it will be the best 25$ you have spent in a while... LOTS of good reading & info on the member side....

Yup, I've noticed that. I'm a wee bit tired of the drama some "experts" seem to like causing.

I'm just looking for a nice quiet little nook on the web to mind my own business and post a little bit. The 'Page seems like it might be a good fit.

Welcome aboard.

Great looking outfit

The troops here are always helpful and eager to get their hands dirty :D

Missy

Thanks and thanks.

arveetek
06-11-2012, 10:52
Yup, I've noticed that. I'm a wee bit tired of the drama some "experts" seem to like causing.

I'm just looking for a nice quiet little nook on the web to mind my own business and post a little bit. The 'Page seems like it might be a good fit.

The Diesel Page is definitely the place to be! It's not as active as some other forums, but it's the longest-running forum, and has the most civil members. I've been here since well before 2000. Definitely the best $25 a year ever spent.

Casey