PDA

View Full Version : Correct Boost "Fooler" Wiring?

AndyL
05-19-2004, 13:53
I have heard two different methods, which is correct?

1. 10K pot, CCW end pin C (Grey), CW end to pin A (Black), disconect pin B (green) and connect to the wiper. Then Pin B of the MAP sensor is unconnected.

2. 10K pot in parallel with Pin B and A, CCW or CW on one and the wiper to the other.

Which is correct?

Andy

whatnot
05-19-2004, 15:08
Unless I am reading it wrong, both of those are wrong.
You have to put it in series with the 5 volts. I have seen them both ways (either the gray or green)
I have also seen pictures of then with nothing to the black (just cut one wire) but I don't know if they actually work right.

I think the DP 2000 reprint shows the center wire cut and the sensor end to the wiper, the other end to the ccw or cw(depending on which way you want the pot to go) and the other going to the ground.

Another way that might work is to find some diodes with a big voltage drop and put several in series with either the gray or green wire.

MTTwister
05-20-2004, 07:32
Recommended connection is to cut the ECM sensor wire - Green I believe, One pot end to the boost sensor, the wiper goes to the lead to the ECM. The Other pot end is tapped into the ground wire. Set the Ohms to 2000 for the sensor wire side( 5000 ohms doubles boost evidently - too much). I believe there is a ratio balance betwen the 2 sides that is taken into consideration, and is not achieved by just splicing 2k ohms into the sensor wire. This is the R/Shack linear pot,btw, 10k,15 turns.

I used spade connectors on the green splice in case I needed to disconnect / remove. Seems to work. Clocked 13# ( 900

whatnot
05-20-2004, 08:03
Yes, it is a ratio since I used a 20k and the resistances are higher.
Also if you are using it just to keep from setting a code while using a turbo master fixed resistors work ok because you just need to get close to keep the ECM happy.

TurboDiverArt
05-21-2004, 02:57
I thought in another post just the other day you put a resistor across the ground (black) and Signal wire (green)? Not in parallel but this shunts some of the signal that is being sent to the ECM (over green wire) to ground so less signal gets to the ECM. You are running 12 psi of boost but the signal at the ECM reads only 10 psi. I'm making up the numbers for illustration purposes. I think someone posted that they used a 2K resistor. Guess you could use a POT if you wanted to fine-tune the signal ratio being sent to the ECM.

Art.

TurboDiverArt
05-21-2004, 02:59
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
I thought in another post just the other day you put a resistor across the ground (black) and Signal wire (green)?

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006447

Not in parallel but this shunts some of the signal that is being sent to the ECM (over green wire) to ground so less signal gets to the ECM. You are running 12 psi of boost but the signal at the ECM reads only 10 psi. I'm making up the numbers for illustration purposes. I think someone posted that they used a 2K resistor. Guess you could use a POT if you wanted to fine-tune the signal ratio being sent to the ECM.

Art.