PDA

View Full Version : Smoke and poor Performance

Jack E. Whitmore
02-02-2004, 14:06
I went through 300 miles of white out and as a result used more fuel than expected, Ran out 50 ft from the pump.
I got it started again and it seemed ok for a while. Had to make a run across the state again and it begain to foul out and stall at slow speeds, seemed to run ok at highway speeds. I thougth it was the fuel filter. I decided to change it. It had never been changed in about 300k. Needless to say I broke the fuel filter housing and had to search for a new one. 30 web sights and 40 phone calls I was able to order one and have it the next day for only $280.00($460 list) I put it on and eventually got it primed and running. Ran fine for about 5 minutes and then it returned to the stalling and the smoke.
I checked it with an computer code checker and there were 4 codes. I erased those codes to see if they were caused by the running out of fuel. Not so. I am going to check the codes again today. I downloaded a list of codes from this site and got a wiring diagram from the Chiltons at our local Library. Where can I get a diagram that tells me where the sensors are located on the vehicle and where can I get sensors at a reasonable cost? Fast Jack

More Power
02-03-2004, 11:09
Have a look at the following member tech page, which lists the possible problem areas you should eliminate as a cause of your problem before buying/replacing parts.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tt99-9.htm

MP

ucdavis
02-03-2004, 13:44
Running outa fuel can trip a buncha different problems, and perhaps more than one will conspire to confuse the situation. Trash (sucked up as the last bit of fuel in the tank is drawn in) thru the fuel system (easy to do w/a really old, probably worn out filter) can cause optical sensor trouble on the injection pump, and so can air in the fuel. You could have one or more injectors clogged. Inj. pump internals could be clogged (there's a fine mesh screen around the inlet barb outlet into the IP that contains a small spring valve, for example). Running the IP dry could, if it was worn anyway, put it out of spec from lack of lubrication.
You'll need to get systematic & work thru all these kinds of troubles to verify what's good & what's not to assure you've isolated the trouble. One thing at a time & check tank to cylinder fully.