PDA

View Full Version : Another smoke question.

gary_lucas
06-04-2012, 10:33
When I'm on the highway and need to accelerate quickly (Think it's floored) I often see a couple puffs of black smoke coming out the tailpipes.

I'm running under the assumption that a little black smoke when floored is ok.

Truck has an edge / juice unit in it. Setting is always '1'

Gary

DmaxMaverick
06-04-2012, 11:15
If you are asking if there is something wrong, causing the smoke, remove the Edge module and try it with a completely stock PCM. If it smokes then, something is wrong. Engine performance, behavior and/or characteristics can vary greatly with any power adding component, even the same component added to the same model/year vehicle. Attempting to diagnose what might be a problem, whether one actually exists or not, with a power-altering program present (regardless of the "setting", including "zero") is fruitless unless the cause/effect is blatantly obvious (like radio knobs falling off).

More Power
07-17-2012, 10:30
My LB7, when using stock power, will put out some smoke temporarily when accelerating briskly (like when pulling out to pass), especially after having lightly driven the truck for a while previous.

I followed another Duramax into town the other day, and stopped behind him at the stop sign. His truck was producing a lot of dark smoke when mildly accelerating and some even while sitting at the stop sign. My guess is he was running some sort of smoky program and his injectors are over the hill.... Not a good situation.... Jim

Kennedy
07-19-2012, 08:37
Which engine series is it?

Tailpipes? As in two?

As stated a little smoke can be somewhat normal, but it depends on how consistent it is and how thick it is.

gimpyhauler
07-26-2012, 14:17
My '07 LBZ smoked plenty when I put my foot down.

Since then I started using a fuel additive and re-installed my Bully Dog on economy (2). Now I don't smoke much at all.

My next modification will be to get rid of the bully dog and get my ECM Kennedy modified.

gary_lucas
08-07-2013, 21:50
Hi all, was going to re-ask the same question again... Then realized I already asked it.

So here's the update.

No more programmer, there's an edge insite in there but no programmer.

I replaced the stock mirrors with the nice big k-source ones ($240 amazon). Much improvement, however now that I can see that much more of the truck in the mirrors I'm seeing more smoke.

Only under heavy acceleration, generally only when boost is high but once I get up to speed then I get no smoke.

It's a K&R filter and a modified exhaust, dual pipes. Don't know what brand they are.

Catalytic converter is still there.

I've had it on a computer without the edge / juice module and no alarms tripped (Except the occasional EGR which no longer trips).

So, a little smoke under heavy boost? Bad / normal / Good / NA?

I have been using Total Power but haven't put any in this last tankfull (will do that tomorow).

Truck gets regular service / oil changes / fuel filter changes and drives well.

Gary

DmaxMaverick
08-07-2013, 22:53
Light smoke under load is not anything serious, but may indicate too little air (O2). With previous EGR codes, I'd suspect it isn't closing completely, or is weak and blowing open under pressure. It doesn't take much. This condition should also increase EGT's.