PDA

View Full Version : Very sick '93 swap over

olegmturbo
06-05-2012, 11:15
After 2 months of owning our 1993 6.5, fixing the turbo and redoing all the front end and all the shocks, on the first trip with the horse-trailer the #3 cylinder has blown :( (we discovered this by taking it into the shop and having a compression test- the #3 cylinder read 50psi :eek:). Anyway, our choices are: junk the truck as a parts truck and throw away $$$ we don't have to burn :mad:, attempt to change out the #3 cylinder, or replace the engine.
We've found an engine at quite a good price (thank heavens for good friends :))
but it is a 1996.
How difficult/easy will it be to exchange these engines, given that the '93 is all mechanical and the '96 is electronic? What about the fuel pump? Would it be better to change it from the electronic version in the '96 to the mechanical '93, or the other way around?
I did a search on all the forums, but didn't come across this particular issue or answer. Any hints, suggestions or recommendations would be very gratefully accepted :D
Thanks!

DmaxMaverick
06-05-2012, 13:01
The 96 long block will replace the 93 long block with no (additional) hassle. The long blocks are interchangeable, for all intents and purposes. Converting EFI to MFI, or MFI to EFI, is a major undertaking. All your 93 mechanical stuff is fully compatible with the 96 long block. Just keep/use all the bolt-on stuff you have under the hood now. If you do the swap without any repair or parts replacement to the 96, you'll end up with one additional sensor (crank position) that won't be used. Remove it and plug the hole, replace the timing cover with one for MFI, or just leave it in place and move on.

john8662
06-05-2012, 13:07
Pull the head and see what's amiss.

Putting a 1996 engine where a 1993 was will be a breeze.

Just strip down the 1996 engine down to longblock form. Then swap everything from the 1993 engine to the 1996 engine, it's really that easy.

The only think you'll do differently is find a freeze plug for the port on the timing cover where the crankshaft position sensor is. Or just leave the sensor in the hole and tie up the cord.

Do some searching on the forum. It's been done lots.

greatwhite
06-05-2012, 14:20
easy peasy.

The 96 will swap right in.

The advice already given here is spot on.

Keep in mind the harmonic balancer won't swap between the two engines due to the different snout length on the damper itself.

Pulling the head first is very good advice. Could be as simple as a blown head gasket, a burnt valve or as serious as a cracked piston/broken rings/c=scored cylinder.

It costs you nothing to pull the head since the engine is already dead and it may be a relatively inexpensive fix.

olegmturbo
06-05-2012, 22:33
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll print this out.
Just one clarification- the engine still runs, albeit very roughly and with a lot of grey smoke, but it still starts right up with a short turn of the key after the glow plugs have warmed up :)

sctrailrider
06-06-2012, 05:32
I agree with all above, check the motor first, pull that head and have a look, a valve job might be all that's needed. I have lots of good valves & heads if you need something cheap.

While you have things down, replace the damper & crank pulley if you haven't yet, might save you a crank later..

olegmturbo
06-06-2012, 09:08
Thanks for the kind offer SC. I'll definitely be keeping you in mind! Sounds like the swap is a go, and I"ll get me tow beast back on the road in time to hit a couple of late summer horse shows!:D

olegmturbo
06-18-2012, 09:08
So an update!
The engine has been switched already and was running well over the weekend!:D:D
One thing that was noticed, however, was the wastegate actuator appears to not be working and needs replacing- NO big deal. I've found replacement parts already. My question is, which actuator should we be replacing with: low, medium or high boost? What does each category represent? I will be using it for towing up to 8600lbs over hills up to 8% in grade and up to a mile in elevation change.
Thanks again, everybody!

john8662
06-18-2012, 10:47
you need the adjustable boost version, turbomaster.

olegmturbo
06-18-2012, 13:30
Thanks John! Will go looking for a Turbomaster adjustable wastegate actuator right away. :D
Errmm, any idea where I should look for one? :o Is it something our local autoparts store would stock/could order, or should I be scouring wrecker's yards across North America?
Just wanted to repaet: You guys (the collective version, not gender-specific) are GRREEAATT!!

sctrailrider
06-18-2012, 14:02
I know that either John might have one to sell, or KennedyDiesel.com would have one to sell you....

john8662
06-20-2012, 13:35
Best source for one in stock would be Kennedy Diesel.