PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a Diesel Suburban for a trip to South America

Veraneio
06-08-2012, 22:42
I am new to this forum and as matter of fact also new to the 6.2
Anyways, I am planning a trip to South America for next year; the plan is drive from Canada to Argentina. I've got trip almost planned out but I had spent a long time to find the ideal truck for that.
Anyways, I got an awesome Suburban 1983 Diesel, one owner, no rust (it is pretty rare on Chicago area) and only 92,000miles. The truck is perfect, drives great and there is nothing wrong with it however, reading some posts I found out there are some important things I need to take care of before really get into the truck preparation, but I really not sure the best way to do it:

1 - Replace the harmonic balancer. Should also replace the crankshaft seal? Is the OEM part the best option?

2 - Water pump replacement, upgrade? Should I use an OEM part, pump from 6.5, high flow or Peninsular?

3 – The temperature is a little over half of the gauge. Since I will replace the harmonic balance I am thinking about removing and cleaning the radiator, replacing all hoses, and thermostat. Should I install a new radiator? What about the fan clutch, should it be replaced too.

Thanks a lot.

Edahall
06-09-2012, 19:14
Yes, replace the harmonic balancer if it has not already been replaced. I would not replace the water pump unless it is bad. However, you might carry a spare one along. A new radiator might be a good idea if it has not already been replaced. Replace all the glow plugs with some newer types and possibly wire it up so you can use a push button setup.

Have all the medallions riveted so they can't be stolen. I don't know why, but thieves down there seem to go after those.

Carry a bunch of spare fuel filters. And be careful where you fill up. Many stations give you less gas than what you paid for.

Get some very heavy duty load range E tires. Don't worry if your shocks are worn out. Worn out shocks ride through bad roads better.

Can you speak Spanish? If so, you'll have no problems finding help if something should happen. But always be there watching to keep them honest.

Are you planning to sell the rig in S. America? These particular rigs (with a diesel engine) sell for a more money than here in the states.

Veraneio
06-09-2012, 21:28
I heard there is a high flow water pump that improves the cooling efficiency. Also the temperature runs a little over half way on the gauge, so maybe is a good idea to check it.
I think everything is still original in this truck and really looks good. Radiator, harmonic balancer, etc. I am not sure if it is better taking the radiator out and send to a shop for cleaning or just buy I new one. Sometimes I am afraid about buying something new with an inferior quality than the actual original part.

Yes, I speak Spanish. Yes, Diesel trucks are expensive in South America since usually the Diesel (fuel) is way cheaper than gas.

DmaxMaverick
06-09-2012, 21:38
A little over half on the gage is normal. Water pumps don't normally fail with higher temps. They leak, or break the shaft. The high volume pump is good, but isn't fully effective without a dual thermostat crossover. If the rest of the system is healthy, a higher volume pump is not necessary unless you are towing very heavy. Good idea to check/replace the fan clutch and balancer.

greatwhite
06-10-2012, 02:40
If its running well right now I wouldn't mess with it.

What I would lean towards is "spares".

Ie: belts, hoses, water pump (if it worries you), lights, filters, fuses, wiper blades, etc.

Maybe throw in a couple spare injectors, couple glow plugs, a roll of electrical wire, a couple switches, spare u joint and any other assorted bits you think may be usefull for unusual breakdowns.

For the "get back" fixes make sure you add some universal use stuff like large and small zip ties, hose gear clamps, some bailing wire, length of chain and clevises, etc.

Nothing sucks more than loosing a simple fix piece, having the tools to fix it and not being able to get parts.....

Yukon6.2
06-10-2012, 08:03
Hi
Welcome to the Dieselpage.
Great looking Sub,Wish it was mine:cool:
If this is your first diesel.....
Then you should get the manuals that this forum has for sale.The trouble shooting one for sure.
Then read past threads as much as you can befor you leave,and keep your subscribtion current that way you can allways hit us up for help if you need it.
Also post some pic's of your trip so we can live vicariously through you.:D
Thomas

Veraneio
06-10-2012, 08:33
Well, I am not planning to tow anything. So I think I should keep the original water pump though.
I mean with "spares" buying spares parts to take with me on this trip.
Thanks

Veraneio
06-10-2012, 08:35
Hi
Welcome to the Dieselpage.
Great looking Sub,Wish it was mine:cool:
If this is your first diesel.....
Then you should get the manuals that this forum has for sale.The trouble shooting one for sure.
Then read past threads as much as you can befor you leave,and keep your subscribtion current that way you can allways hit us up for help if you need it.
Also post some pic's of your trip so we can live vicariously through you.:D
Thomas

Thanks.
I bought the manias from this site already. I bought the 6.2 diesel engine volume 1 and 2. Maybe I should have bought this trouble shooting one too.

Veraneio
06-10-2012, 08:37
Do you guys think a 32" tire will be ok? I have a TH 700 with 3.42 gears. Too big tire for this gear ratio? What you think?

john8662
06-11-2012, 07:30
Stick with the stock sized tire, keep the speedometer accurate. That's a very good combination the 3.42 gears and the TH700.

When considering the thermostat I'd highly recommend the Robershaw thermostat from Kennedy Diesel. This is the balanced thermostat that is the same design as the OEM hi-flow thermostat. This thermostat can be bought at a 180 degree temperature, which I think you'll need driving in hotter climate areas. If you replace this and you're still running warm, you need a radiator.

Check your upper and lower radiator hoses, the upper is the weak link, inspect it. Also look at your heater hoses and the little bypass hose between the thermostat crossover and the waterpump. 5/8" ID and 3/4" ID hoses for the heater (5/8" ID hose on the bypass).

You'll need to take a few primary and secondary fuel filters with you, keeping in mind if you get bad fuel the secondary one (underneath the air cleaner housing) is the one you'll change first (finer filter).

Subzilla
06-11-2012, 12:54
Might repack the front bearings if they haven't been done in a while or ever. Check diff, transfer case, transmission fluids. Check your spare tire!

Veraneio
06-11-2012, 17:20
Thank you.

I just bought the thermostat. Thanks for the tip

I think about replacing the radiator and hoses anyways. It is better take it the radiator to a shop for service/cleaning or just buy a new one. I am afraid about getting new radiator that doesn't have the same quality as a original. Any specific brand or should it be OEM? Also for the hoses, where should I get them? What is the best one?

What do you think about the Peninsular high flow water pump. Should I put an OEM part or peninsular?

Sorry for so many questions, but I think the cooling system is really important and I was thinking about replacing everything. Hoses, radiator, thermostat, water pump, etc.

Thanks again.

When considering the thermostat I'd highly recommend the Robershaw thermostat from Kennedy Diesel. This is the balanced thermostat that is the same design as the OEM hi-flow thermostat. This thermostat can be bought at a 180 degree temperature, which I think you'll need driving in hotter climate areas. If you replace this and you're still running warm, you need a radiator.

Check your upper and lower radiator hoses, the upper is the weak link, inspect it. Also look at your heater hoses and the little bypass hose between the thermostat crossover and the waterpump. 5/8" ID and 3/4" ID hoses for the heater (5/8" ID hose on the bypass).

You'll need to take a few primary and secondary fuel filters with you, keeping in mind if you get bad fuel the secondary one (underneath the air cleaner housing) is the one you'll change first (finer filter).[/QUOTE]

Edahall
06-11-2012, 19:44
The radiator on my 82 Suburban died on me about 15 years ago and original radiator in my 1990 is starting to go so maybe that'll give you an idea. That said, radiators do last a lot longer if the coolant is changed out regularly.

AdrianR
07-16-2012, 19:29
3 – The temperature is a little over half of the gauge.

To me - that seems a little high.

I run an '85 Suburban here in Mexico - on the Gulf coast, where it's always hot and steamy - and my gauge is usually a notch below 200.

Sounds like a great trip you're planning - but I'm intrigued...how are you intending to cross the Darien Gap?

More Power
07-17-2012, 10:17
Yes, the "6.2/6.5 Diesel Troubloeshooting & Repair Guide" would be recommended. Aside from troubleshooting & repair info, there's also a tool list, bolt torque specs, sealant requirements, supplier list and much more.

Also.... I'd take a laptop with some sort of Internet access. If you have trouble along the way that you can't solve, contact me. We have 6.2/6.5 members in some of the countries you'll be traveling through.

Personal security.... A lot has changed through the years. Learn what you can about the current circumstances in the countries you'll be passing through.

Good luck!

Jim

master53yoda
08-01-2012, 12:41
After just loosing an engine to a failed oil cooler line I would take a good look at your oil cooler lines and replace them if they are questionable at all. I lost my engine in less then a mile with a blown line and there was no warning oil leaks. The engine compartment is sound proofed enough that with the windows rolled up and any conversation you won't hear the change in the engine.
Until it is to late.

rugger
12-24-2012, 22:23
I just want to hear about this trip, its something i have wanted to do myself.

Veraneio
01-24-2013, 19:36
Just a quick update...

I am now in the process of replacing the injectors, glow plugs, Injection pump and fuel lines and maybe a "J code" intake manifold.
Anybody has any tips or recommendation, anything else I should do since I already there....

By the way, there is no way to cross the Darien gap driving, at least with the Suburban. unfortunately that part of the trip the car will be in a ship

thank you

Veraneio
01-29-2013, 19:20
Everyone,

Here is a list of things I am planning to do by myself. This is just for the engine, later I will have a list for suspension, brakes, transmission,etc...

I am wondering if anybody could review this list including/removing items that I should also have on this maintenance checklist. All good parts replaced I am planning to take with me so I will have a tested spare in case I need to change.

Thanks for the help

1 Harmonic damper replacement Done
2 Front crankshaft seal Done
3 Robertshaw thermostat 180 degree Done
4 All filters Done
5 RPM gauge Done
6 All belts
7 All hoses
8 Glow plug controller upgrade
9 Glow plugs
10 Intake manifold without EGR
11 New fuel lines