PDA

View Full Version : Ruptured oil cooler line question.

master53yoda
06-10-2012, 12:18
I ruptured my oil cooler line without any noticeable leak beforehand, i went about a mile at 50mph and 1600 rpm before i realized what had happened when the engine started faltering because the fuel transfer pump wasn't running. I put in a gallon of oil and started it and it run out about 1/2 gallon on the ground in about 30 seconds.

I didn't find anything in a search that tells me what i need to do between now and when i can get the cooler lines and replace them. My usage will be short runs etc. so i won't need the cooler until I can get it replaced.

My question is can i plug off the oil cooler lines until I can get them replaced or do I need to rig up a bypass line.

Thanks for the help

DmaxMaverick
06-10-2012, 12:34
Nope. You can't "plug" the lines. And, you can't run without it. Unless your "short" runs are measured in yards rather than miles, you need it. Replace the lines, cross your fingers, and hope you don't have permanent damage.

racedaymechanic
06-10-2012, 14:34
I ruptured my oil cooler line without any noticeable leak beforehand, i went about a mile at 50mph and 1600 rpm before i realized what had happened when the engine started faltering because the fuel transfer pump wasn't running. I put in a gallon of oil and started it and it run out about 1/2 gallon on the ground in about 30 seconds.

I didn't find anything in a search that tells me what i need to do between now and when i can get the cooler lines and replace them. My usage will be short runs etc. so i won't need the cooler until I can get it replaced.

My question is can i plug off the oil cooler lines until I can get them replaced or do I need to rig up a bypass line.

Thanks for the help
Im afraid you have already ruined the engine, Your fuel pump gets a signal from the oil pressure sending unit and when oil pressure reaches 0 the pump stops You cant get more than a few seconds with no oil pressure before you take the bearings out, Sorry

Dan Lauzon
07-04-2012, 08:45
Don't make the same mistake I made last December 10. I was traveling down a long mountain road when my cooling line failed. I did not "feel" or hear anything until it was too late. I just found a donor truck with 6.5 and now I am having a bear of a job with rusty bolts everywhere (the donor was an old salt spreader/snow plow) the seller thought he had a rear main seal. Low and behold it is the oil cooling line! BTW I got a new GM seal. Now if I can only figure how to access the drivers side mounts I will be all set.:eek: