PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Balance Fault

bshull
06-10-2012, 16:13
While driving around this afternoon it was warm 95 deg I noticed my idle was higher than usual. I have had this problem before and thought nothing of it. Today I decided to look further.

Reading the active codes I have a 98 Cylinder balance Fault #8 and 94 Cylinder balance fault #5. In history codes I have in addition to the two above I have 91, and 95 cylinder balance faults #7 and #4.

The cylinder balance fault tells me that the cylinder is not firing as it should. From research this can be due to a valve train failure not allowing enough oxygen into the cylinder or a fuel delivery issue.

The times I notice this issue is when it is warmer out. When the outside temp is cooler I do not notice this problem. Could this be PMD related? I do have a spare and I can change it out if anyone thinks this could be a possibility.

The injector pump has about 30 thousand miles on it, and the injectors have about 20 thousand miles on them. I do not think this is a valve train issue since it can clear up. The PMD is remote mounted in the bumper.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Brian

More Power
06-11-2012, 11:34
Generally, if you reset the cyl balance codes, and the exact same ones re-appear, there is likely a problem with that cylinder (i.e. fuel injector, valve train, compression, etc). If, on the other hand, if a new combination of codes appear, the problem would more likely be injection pump/electronics related.

If you have a spare PMD, I'd try it... Jim

john8662
06-11-2012, 12:01
Check out this thread.

Got Air?

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=40611

bshull
06-11-2012, 16:23
My plan tonight, as soon as she cools down is to put a clear line on the fuel return to look for air. The codes were cleared and cylinders 5&8 popped back up. I might also swap injector 5 with injector 1 to see if the problem follows the injector.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions,

Brian