PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bigger tailpipe.

TurboDiverArt
09-24-2005, 15:07
Looking for a bigger tailpipe.

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells a tailpipe for our trucks for a reasonable price? I see Flowmaster sells a universal 3.5

DmaxMaverick
09-24-2005, 15:35
That Flowmaster "kit" was probably just for the muffler. "Pipe and hardware extra"

There is no way anyone could market an exhaust kit for $80. A good muffler/resonator will cost that.
....Maybe for your lawnmower.

Shop around. You'll find what you're looking for. Many DP advertisers sell exhaust systems.

DA BIG ONE
09-24-2005, 16:02
Flowmaster univ tail pipe kit plenty of mandrel bent pipe. However, you need to weld it together in the configuration you want, mig or tig best.

Go with good aftermarket straight through muffler, flowmaster does not make mufflers for turbo motors last I had checked. I tried to use one of their race mufflers on a high pressure 2.3 ltr turbo, sounded nice lost power and superheated muffler to point of glowing, not good!

Good luck!

TurboDiverArt
09-25-2005, 04:55
The kit is tailpipe only, muffler back. Looking at it, it does not have to be welded. One side of each tube is flared so that the mating pipe fits inside. My damn welder is down right now (for the second time in a month). Can be done with what looks like 4, 3.5" muffler clamps.

I have a 3" DP (FLO-17220, $105), 3" main pipe going into a straight through 3" muffler. The only piece missing is the tailpipe because I'm still using the stock one. I couldn't get those damn cross over bolts off, man those bolts are tight. Soaked them with PB Blaster for 24 hours and still couldn't get one of them off with either a breaker bar or air impact gun. Oh well, not critical for gas mileage or lowering EGT's in my opinion.

Flowmaster does make a straight through muffler called Hushpower but it's too small for our trucks. It's for dual exhaust systems, not a big single. I used a Summit Racing glass pack, 3" ID straight through (SUM-630820 $26). I opted for the 18" long pack vs. the smaller 12" long one. I wanted a little more silencing. If I had to do it again I would go with the Dynomax magnum 3.5

DA BIG ONE
09-25-2005, 07:46
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
The kit is tailpipe only, muffler back. Looking at it, it does not have to be welded. Lucky no welding, I guess the kit I had may have been different somehow, or I'm just sufferin from my usual sometimers illness!

Anyway, sounds like good setup.

DmaxMaverick
09-25-2005, 07:47
OEM exhaust on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-GMC-Silverado-Sierra-OEM-exhaust-Duramax_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ798 1461057QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V)

$58.

Few details, but it's there.

jjgmc96
09-26-2005, 04:59
hi i have to repace the crossover pipe, mine rusted off at the flange. are there doughnuts or gaskets at the manifolds? i am going to try it in the driveway but the nieghbor has a lift if i need to get the torches out.