PDA

View Full Version : Perma-Cool Remote Oil System for easy remote and future upgrade to bypass

Aryeh Levy
09-24-2005, 19:18
I got my perma-cool catalogue today. I'm looking for the correct Remote Filter mount. We've got 13/16th 16 threading on our oil filter plate, correct? Product #s 114 (screw in adapter) and 1223 (dual filter mounting plate) setup has 1/2" NPT ports at both ends - thinking of setting a oilguard bypass filter off the 1/2" NPT usually taken up by pipe plugs. They don't have prices in their catalogue.

www.truckperformance.com (http://www.truckperformance.com) has them, but i'm not looking to put $90 down for a ala-carte system if i know their generic system for $70 works too. i'm just worried that they said it would work fine regardless of the thread size and depth. it looks like there are adapters in the photos.
RJWEST, you have this system, no?

donbfishin
09-24-2005, 19:57
I purchased a Fram head and remote filter bracket then you can use a 2 qt filter for about $50 bucks.

Billman
09-25-2005, 02:22
Aryeh

That is what I did. Dual filter mount with 2 large Full-Flows and then tapped off one of the other ports and fed my Bypass. I mounted a Monster Bypass on a Wix Filter base.

My System holds 12 Quarts with a Stock Pan.

Aryeh Levy
09-25-2005, 06:55
billman what thread size did your kit use? is the generic kit good?

http://www.truckperformance.com (http://www.truckperformance.com/products/searchtype_1235d/sortorder_ADAA/productcategory_Oil+Filter+Relocation+Kits+~~+Acce ssories/brandname_PERMA-COOL/category_Engine/mode_change/sf4_Universal+Oil+Filter+Mount+Kits/partnumber_PCF10795/)
that one would work or not?

[ 09-26-2005, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: JohnC ]

rjwest
09-25-2005, 11:22
The oil filter adapter may come with a bunch of different sized threaded adapters to fit
into the oil filter threaded hole ( 13/16 )

The dual filters have 3/4-Ford or 13/16 GM
( the kits are ford, )

I used the Ford, should have used GM.

I have 1/2- holes/ baynonet fittings and hose.
Made hose fith fittings , but the hardware
(aero quip fittings) reduced the opening to less than 1/2 inch

If I were to do it again I would try for larger fittings, I think Perma cool has a BIGGER set of parts, but not as a kit..

I would call them for pn's.

If you try to skimp on money you may find that you get less than desired oil pressure,

I started with the 'Fits all kit', lost 5-7 psi oil pressure... Presently about 3 psi below original.

( the adapter I used also had a restriction where the fittings go, had to 'relieve' the adapter
with a grinding bit,,

I will try to check there site for PN's...

Billman
09-25-2005, 13:38
I wanted to keep GM Thread. I used 13/16.

Trans-Dapt or PermaCool, I can't remember which one.

On Edit: NO. Don't use that Junk Generic Kit! I bought the Filter Mount and Dual Relocation Mount Only. I then used Quality Push-Lock Hose & Quality Fittings. Definately more expensive. Neighborhood $200-$300.

Aryeh Levy
09-25-2005, 17:13
Oil line? They've got 1/2" NPT barbs, sounds good to me, but they've got basic oil line rated to 300 degrees. i've heard our oil is 240 - a little close.

Is there somewhere to get super rated oil hose?
The fits all kit has a bunch of thread adapters - seems like its better to piece meal it.

truck performance had all the parts. I have the perma cool catalogue. I was looking at 114 and 1223. then three sets of 2 1/2->1/2 hose" npt barbs .(15156)x3

EDIT: Then again I'm looking at the perma cool catalogue - they say the best rated oil hose at 600 psi burst, 300 psi working, and 300F rating. Sounds good for me (132) (11 feet worth)

Also I was looking at their anodized marine grade parts - but they have 10 O ring port, and i dont know how large that is. 60114 is the spin on adapter 13/16 and the 61223 is the 13/16 GM dual filter part. They clain they are high flow adapters. I think they also cost more. I'm afraid because i dont see any adapter parts hose barb from 10 O.

rjwest
09-26-2005, 04:42
Find a hydralic / hose shop in area, look under AEROQUIP ( hope i spelled right )
they have a good selection of hoses and heat sleeves for where the hose is close to cross over pipe.

I used a ? 1500 psi hose, was called a 'clampless'
or something like that, hose, not supposed to need clamps, Quite hard to get on baynonet fittings.
I also used clamps, NAPA compression type, they are band clamps with what looks like washers under the scew head, 2 each barb, The hoses have about 30k plus miles on them and still pliable,
When using hose that is rated close to operating temp, they get hard and do not flex.
Good hose is not cheap...

I did not care for the hose selection at NAPA.

ACE has all the barb fittings and 90 deg stuff,

Also a boat store has a lot of stuff,

If you keep the OEM 4x4 filter adapter, it's a trick to get hoses down from the eng..

Also, clamps need to be retorqued several times as hose seats,

ogrice
09-30-2005, 08:13
Hey all,

Some one clue me into what beneifits come from additional capacity, additional filtering, and relocating the oil filter........? Is the 6.5 oiling system inadequate.?
For those of you who have done this or are going to do this, are the reasons corrective in nature.?

In the future I'm going to build up an engine using a dry sump oiling system. Go all out on it.
Please give me your thoughts and opinions.

Hubert
09-30-2005, 09:47
Benefits:

Diesel combustion is sooty. It coats the cylinder walls. Soot is abrasive.
Oil cleans the cylinder walls and lubricates the piston, bearing... etc etc. The oil also helps seal the piston rings to the cylinder wall and reduce blow by. The soot and combustion residue contaminate the oil. The contaminates break down the "oil package".

1) More oil capacity. Dilutes soot and contaminates. So the oil lubricates better. Depending on how much extra capacity may allow longer drain intervals. Or at least a little more safety margin.

2) Better filtering helps keep oil clean. Also may allow longer drain intervals. Depends on remote system and oil used.

3) Remote mount: Is the means to the above.

The 6.5 has the least oil capacity of the light truck diesels. I think Ford's have what ~ 15 quarts on the 6.0. The 6.5 has ~ 7 quarts.

Side benefit of remote mount is use of vertical mounted filter. So you can fill it up when changing it and the oil pump more quickly circulates oil on changes. Vertical filters still drip oil when you take them off but remote mounting allows me to put a bucket directly underneath them. 4x4's dump it on the front universal joint. And the location is harder to service.

IMHO: I believe the location of stock filter close to the exhaust manifold and exhaust crossover pipe aborbs radiant heat. The 4x4's also trap heat more because of the front differential. Especially in stop and go traffic. So remote mount may help cool oil some. The oil cools the bottom half of the engine as well as lubricates it. Maybe in cold climates the close proximity may help warm the oil in the filter on cold starts but I think its bad placement in warm climates.

DennisG01
09-30-2005, 09:52
additional capacity = cooler oil, more oil for lubrication, more oil for "crap" to get dispersed in

additional filtering = more filter surface area to get that "crap" out

relocating = easier oil changes (especially w/4WD)

anything else I missed?

ON EDIT: ooops - looks like Hubert beat me to the punch (look at the times or posts were made) ;) Besides, I think he was a little more thorough than me! tongue.gif

ogrice
09-30-2005, 18:39
Thanks guys.
I didn't know that the 6.5 capacity was so inadequate :-x
I'll definitely be looking to up the capacity and the efficiency soon.
What options are there besides the Perma-cool system.? I've got some ideas.

Barry Nave
10-01-2005, 08:41
With all of the above said,I need my truck to last a long time. Bought and paid for ;)
To replace this truck ? Times are getting tough :eek: Better to spend money on items that will make it last. Truck,cars,Home etc.

96ccdd
10-03-2005, 09:10
Does anyone have p/n's of bypass filters other than Amsoil. IE: Fram,Wix,Puralator...ect.

Thanks