PDA

View Full Version : 94 TM Install questions

Dayto
07-03-2012, 22:24
Hey guys first post! Awesome site,

My Truck is a 1994 Chevy 2500 6.5TD

This morning i noticed a loud "Ticking" from the pass side of the engine , and sure enuf its the Vacume pump...Just to double check i pulled the belt and ran it for a second and no "Ticking" ..

When I turn the pump by hand its not Seized , but it turnes in kinda Surging-Binding revolution..

I would like to by-pass as I have been having problems with getting vacume to the WG latelly.

Now By installing a TM will that affect my Brakes? I hear that the pump also supplies the brake system???
I really wanna install the TM , and I dont wanna have a Vac pump.

Thanks guys.

DmaxMaverick
07-03-2012, 23:01
Welcome aboard!

The brake assist booster is hydraulic, powered by the PS pump, so no worries about that (that's a Ford thing).

Installing a TM will relieve the issue with the wastegate, but it must still keep intake charge pressure within the range (correct adjustment), or the PCM will have a fit and pull fuel. The WG solenoid will have to remain in place, as well, or the PCM will miss it and act accordingly (code and pull fuel). If your truck has EGR (some 2500's do) you'll lose that feature, too (shucks!). I suggest an aftermarket chip (with the vacuum system component monitoring deleted) to address these issues for trouble (code) free operation, and a little extra power.

greatwhite
07-04-2012, 04:23
Look at your vin, if the 8th digit is an "S" your truck is egr equipped. Without the egr solenoid the PCM will set a trouble code. The only way around it is to have the PCM reflashed to prevent the error reporting.

My 98 has a TM and also has the wastegate actuator disconnected and it doesn't code.

That was when I was running a stock PCM. You have to be careful to not over or under boost with a TM or the PCM will code and pull fuel. Over post is the most common mistake with these.

Gt yourself a boost gauge if you don't already have one installed.

I eventually just turned the error reporting off for the wastegate also. That's not something the "average joe" can do, it requires a reflash. I just happen to have that ability (no, it's not cheap to buy the stuff, around $1,000)....

lilymonster
07-09-2012, 19:47
I have been thinking about eliminating vacuum pump also on my '94 K1500 6.5 truck and going with TM. I have the max-power Kennedy Chip already and the EGR has been eliminated on my truck (also have exhaust, etc). I know the Kennedy Chip neuters the EGR fault codes. But does it also deal with the issue you guys were speaking of with de-fueling/code for over/under boost? If so what should I do to make sure I don't run into that problem. I have gauges, etc so I can moniter boost

DmaxMaverick
07-09-2012, 20:21
Some of his tunes eliminate the overboost monitoring. You'll have to ask him. Either way, if you get the TM adjusted where it should be, it won't code. If it doesn't delete the monitoring and you want more, you'll have to "fool" it, or have the program adjusted. Ask Kennedy, in any case.

greatwhite
07-10-2012, 06:33
Just have them turn off reporting for over bost if you have any intention of running more boost in the future.

But, you need to get yourself a boost gauge and monitor it yourself as the PCM will no longer do it for you. You need to manage the boost with your spring setting and your right foot as you have now circumvented the PCM's "foolproof" protection (notice quotes on foolproof). Not a big deal really, just set your wastegate to open at a certain drive pressure and it will work fine unless the wastegate seizes on you.

Also keep in mind; more boost on an older or tired rotating assembly isnt always a good idea....

lilymonster
07-13-2012, 08:13
I wasn't intending on running more than 14 max, with 10-12 being normal as recommended. So I should be good to go then as it is now.