PDA

View Full Version : manual tran help

bondou812
05-19-2004, 19:38
a growling rattling or sounds like a blower whine on an engine. It does it in second, third and fifth gears but not in fourth. Its a rebuilt and only has 40,000 miles on it. Could an input shaft make this noise? but I would think it would make the noise in fouth gear too and if its a bearing I would think it would make it in fouth too. If i knew what part it was I could get it here locally and fix it myself. Hopefully you guys can help since the transmission shops around here wont talk.
thanks
Mike

a5150nut
05-19-2004, 20:20
First check the oil level.

Check drivetrain.com (http://drivetrain.com) out of Vegas. I checked this week for a kit for an NV4500. IIRC, $184.00 for trans kit and I think $146.00 for input shaft.

They are good people to deal with and deliver like they say they will. My brother and I have both dealt with them.

JohnC
05-20-2004, 08:57
Noise in all gears except direct (4th) are generally caused by the counter shaft or cluster gear...

How's first?

BuffaloGuy
05-20-2004, 10:04
I had the same thing. My input shaft bearing and race was toast. I guess the lateral thrust on the input shaft must be less in 4th gear.

I dropped a new shaft with a new race and bearing in and it fixed it. Now I've got another sound and it gets hot when pulling a heavy load. I'm gonna bite the bullet and rebuild the whole unit. Transfer case too.

JohnC
05-20-2004, 12:17
Originally posted by The Buffalo Guy:
I guess the lateral thrust on the input shaft must be less in 4th gear.
Good point. Since power is transfered straight through there really shouldn't be any thrust forces on any of the shafts.

bondou812
05-20-2004, 19:17
thanks guys thats what i needed to know is where to look and who to call. thanks A5150nut for the site I called him he knew exactly what was wrong with it. He said the tranny gets low in oil and the front bearing goes out. He recommends half quart more than what it calls for because thats the problem with these trannies is the front bearing is not getting enough oil.
and Johnc I dont use first that much except when im towing and stopped on an off ramp or an a grade. So today I used it on an off ramp and it screamed.
and buffaloguy looks like I'll be doing what you did any tricks of the trade before i get started?
thanks
mike

BuffaloGuy
05-21-2004, 08:57
Pretty simple. Remove the obvious bolts holding the shaft and bearings in. The whole deal should just slide out. Might need a little hammer action. Then the new one will slip right in.

I tested my truck last night for my latest noise. I put it on a pretty steep grade in first gear and walked along side and listened. My new growl is definetly coming from the tranny/transfer case area. I can't tell which one though, even when I try the screwdriver to the ear trick on the stick inside. I wish I knew because if it's the tranny, the bearing that obviously needs replaced might have a tendancy to wear out about the same time as the front one. It'd be handy info for you since your going in and it'd be better to do it all whilst your at it.

It'll be a few weeks before I have someone get into my tranny so I'm sorry I can't help more. Perhaps someone else knows....
Ken

CaseyR
05-24-2004, 19:32
My NV4500 pops out of gear in 5th (and only 5th) on long downhills when doing compression braking. Is this likely a worn bearing or wear on the gears?

Turbo Al
05-25-2004, 12:53
The extra 1/2 quart of oil (up to one quart) was also recommended to me by a transmission shop up here.