PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt Removal

inkmanmac
07-08-2012, 10:30
Hi
about a month ago I purchased a 1993 6.5L 4x4 k3500 2 door regular cab, (previously had a 2002 dmax) i am in the process of going through and replacing fluids and belts/hoses. On my 200s damax it was very easy to replace the serpentine belt am not too sure on this 6.5L. Can someone tell me how to release the tension to remove the belt.....
Thanks

Gerard

DennisG01
07-08-2012, 10:35
Unless the design changed between '93 and '98...

Simply insert a 3/8" ratchet (no socket, just the square head) into the square hole near the top, right side. Use the ratchet to lever the tensioner away from the belt.

trbankii
07-08-2012, 10:36
Having done it at the side of the road with only a socket wrench and a piece of pipe to "lengthen" the handle, I can tell you that it is easier with the proper tools... :D

Basically, put a socket on the nut on the idler pulley and rotate it clockwise to release tension, pull the belt off, and then carefully rotate the idler pulley counterclockwise until it isn't under tension.

trbankii
07-08-2012, 10:39
Unless the design changed between '93 and '98...

Ok... Learn something new every day...

Now I have to go look at mine. That would have been a heck of a lot easier.

trbankii
07-08-2012, 10:50
Ok, went out and looked under my hood. My tensioner is different and does not have the nice little square hole for a socket wrench like illustrated above. Unless there is a special tool, I go back to my original suggestion of using the nut on the pulley to move the pulley clockwise.

DennisG01
07-08-2012, 10:55
Ok, went out and looked under my hood. My tensioner is different and does not have the nice little square hole for a socket wrench like illustrated above. Unless there is a special tool, I go back to my original suggestion of using the nut on the pulley to move the pulley clockwise.

So it did change. I would assume (;)) that your '93 and the OP's '94 are likely the same?

inkmanmac
07-08-2012, 11:27
Having done it at the side of the road with only a socket wrench and a piece of pipe to "lengthen" the handle, I can tell you that it is easier with the proper tools... :D

Basically, put a socket on the nut on the idler pulley and rotate it clockwise to release tension, pull the belt off, and then carefully rotate the idler pulley counterclockwise until it isn't under tension.

now where to insert bar,see pic. I will try your suggestion. Thanks

trbankii
07-08-2012, 12:13
Yep, yours looks exactly like mine - no provision for the wrench.

Put a socket on the bolt head in the middle of the pulley and use that. Certainly not as clean as the later model Dennis posted, but it gets the job done.

DennisG01
07-08-2012, 15:25
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to also change the tensioner, especially if it's original. I replaced mine a few years ago and while I don't recall the exact price, I don't think it was a whole lot (from NAPA).

On those lines... anyone know if the newer style (like mine) would retrofit to an older setup?

trbankii
07-08-2012, 15:59
I second replacing the tensioner. I had the pulley seize up a few years ago and leave me stranded.

I'm not sure that they are interchangeable. Looking online, it seems like the serpentine belt configuration is different between the two styles.

inkmanmac
07-10-2012, 14:46
trbankii, your suggestion worked, i put a 19mm on a 20" breaker rotated clockwise and the tension was backed off !! thanks alot.
now i have encountered another problem, it seems that the fuel line from the filter to the drain valve by the thermostat has sprung a leak upon closer inspection the whole line is ready to crumble. any suggestions ( or pics) on procedures to replace this line ??
Thanks again

Gerard