PDA

View Full Version : Racor fuel filter heater and water detection question

JFerg65
07-10-2012, 12:40
Since my truck is now done and the intake off for my IP harness repair, I thought I would finally install the Racor 490R fuel filter unit I have on the shelf for quite a while. Will or can you use/modify the existing heater element harness to fit the Racor unit. They are both two wire set ups? How about the water sensor? I saw an expensive but functional bracket that mounts off to the side of the compressor and hangs over the power steering pump using existing bolts.

JFerg65
07-10-2012, 13:12
I think I found my answer about ten pages into a search. It looks like it should work.

JFerg65
09-14-2012, 03:28
I haven't made much progress on this front. I have the materials an just need to find the time to convert the fitting on the wire harness to fit the Racor unit.

sctrailrider
09-18-2012, 06:03
I know the "Bracket" you are talking about, it never made much sense to me to have the filter under the hood ??

I have the same filter by the sound of it, Mine has the clear bowl on it and a built in heater, it is a bit big to be under the hood, I mounted mine on the frame rail beside the new fuel pump, it's a lot cleaner and easy to lay down and screw a filter on & bleed it there. I also got rid of the stock FFM.

JFerg65
09-18-2012, 13:31
I'll try to get up a couple of pics in the next day or so.