PDA

View Full Version : modification of return lines with dual thermo upgrade to '94

lilymonster
07-13-2012, 08:17
I am installing the dual thermostat hi-capacity / hi output cooling upgrades this weekend to my '94 K1500. Question regarding the modification of the return lines.....

I looked around here and in the archived member area and I didn't see any write up or thread on this. And although there are articles in Jim's books about the hi-cap cooling upgrades, I didn't see in them anything about this part of the job. Is there a specific way to do this? Or best practices? Or things to be aware of? Does the new crossover / thermo housing interfere with the big line coming out the top of the IP? Any tips, pictures, etc would be hugely appreciated as I am a newbie.

More Power
07-13-2012, 09:41
I've written before saying that if your engine is equipped with the 1995 and earlier serpentine belt drive system, you should keep the same fuel return line harness, but you'll need to carefully bend the hard lines to provide clearance due to the new shape of the coolant crossover.

I actually bought a newer style fuel return harness hard line, but it fit worse than the original (because the newer style was made for a completely different serpentine belt system).

So, carefully make the bend changes, then use rubber hose to cover areas of the hard lines where any contact with another engine component might occur. Once you've done it, you could do it again in about 5 minutes. It's really easy. This fuel return line change performed without any problem for the 250,000 miles we drove the truck following the upgrade.

Jim

lilymonster
07-13-2012, 11:22
Great Jim, I appreciate the response and tips. Glad to hear bending is all that is required and no cutting/splicing. And I do enjoy both this great website and also your books. In this day of everything on digital media, there is something that I just really like about holding the paper copies of those interesting articles.