PDA

View Full Version : Found the one (and only one) chassis dyno in the province.

greatwhite
07-13-2012, 13:37
3 1/2 hours (one way) drive from where I live by highway.

The type of dyno is one commonly known as "The Heartbreaker" or DoubleD; DynoDynamics model 450 2wd.

Apparently, it's gotten the "Heartbreaker" moniker because it reads below the other dyno's on the market. I'm told the engineers that build it have stated that. So, lots of guys strap on with big smiles and usually walk away scratching their heads...hence, "The Heartbreaker".

100 bucks gets you 3 pulls and the boys are pretty lenient with the "back to back" thing, especially if you're the only one there.

The point of this post is I made a pilgrimage there and paid my 100 bucks to put the 98 on the rig. Drove down at "o-dark 30", ran the morning away and drove home in the afternoon.

Dyno numbers are all pretty wonky if you're trying to compare numbers between different dyno rigs 9heck even same rig different days!), but that wasn't what I was after. I wanted to see where the comparative numbers went with the changes made. I ended up doing a few more pulls than three, but I was the only guy there so no biggie for the By's.

The first setup was with the TM installed (set to 12-13 psi max as per sellers instructions) and my stock towing tune. Results at the wheels after a couple runs, a few tweaks and straight water in the WMI?

Best of 271.9 hp at 3200 rpm / 446.3 tq at 1900 rpm.

Impressive I'm thinking, the heartbreaker is being pretty nice to me!

That's about all my particular combo has left in it too, we tried a few this and that tricks but the truck was pretty stubborn on not going any higher once we hit that peak.

The guys at the shop were kind of wondering why I was happy with such low numbers for what I had in it. They were expecting better numbers from a "turned up" diesel based on a few cummins they've had through the shop. But that's pretty stout for a 6.5......weak for everything else but stout for a 6.5.

Heck, that's dabbling in LB7 territory. I'm good with that. It also explains why my bud's 2001 LB7 can't pull much on my truck....

Then I popped in the MPG tune I've been working on but still with the TM set at 13 psi "pop off". made some runs and did some tweaking with tunercat.

240.8 hp 3200 rpm / 405.7 tq 1900 rpm

still pretty darned good!

I would have thrown the "tuner's" PCM in and done a run, but I didn't have it with me. I would suspect it would be as good or maybe a touch better than my "hot" calibration.

All in all, a good day's thrash. The bys were impressed by my truck's "non smoking policy" but figured it was due to lower hp and tq results compared to other trucks they've run.

Now, I have the vacuum system back on the truck and I'm starting to optimize the boost for the MPG tune.

For the immediate future, I'll be trying to optimize the calibration with the vacuum system to gain MPG and try to keep decent power.

Hopefully, a second trip back to the shop later on will reveal I'm moving in the right direction in balancing power and MPG.

I still have to get our TT on the back of the beast and make sure I'm not messing up the towing manners......not easy to balance it all together without compromise somewhere.

Some very careful work and data logging will hopefully be revealing in where the fuel, boost and timing needs to go for minimal compromises.

:cool:

sctrailrider
07-15-2012, 06:02
Doesn't sound too bad to me using a GM turbo. Nice to see some numbers.

greatwhite
07-15-2012, 16:14
Well, the outright numbers aren't so important as the several different calibrations I was able to build in minimal time with access to multiple dyno pulls.

Lots and lots of learning happened too....and that was the real value of it.

Probably more in a couple hours than I could have in months (maybe years) with the dyno at hand. The dyno enabled me to move up a couple steps in very short time and quickly "optimize" (pun intended ;)) my setup.

The actual numbers are almost unimportant.

It was a well spent 100 bucks (well, more like 250-300 after fuel, food, etc).

The by's at the shop were also having a good time. They usually bring in a guy from New Brunswick to do tuning/dyno days but that just turns into a mad thrash for cash as that day gets swamped with cars. We were able to try tweaking and flashing all morning and see the results. Sure, they knew it was only for my old truck, but they're gear heads too. The shop was slow that day and it was fun just to frig with stuff and see where it goes.

Absolute/peak dyno numbers are more of a dyno sheet throwdown sorta thing and that's not the game I'm playing.

I'm in it for the lernin'...

;)

(I know, I know, I posted numbers in my first post which kind of contradicts what I just said http://www.chimpout.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif )