PDA

View Full Version : Question about oil coolers

sctrailrider
07-15-2012, 17:15
Does anyone see anything wrong with using 2 oil coolers in line to cool the oil??

I will be using 1 - 50 row DSG style & 1 stock cooler, plan is to connect them together, both are low pressure drop coolers.

More Power
07-17-2012, 10:47
Does anyone see anything wrong with using 2 oil coolers in line to cool the oil??

I will be using 1 - 50 row DSG style & 1 stock cooler, plan is to connect them together, both are low pressure drop coolers.

Don't see the need for doubling up, especially when using the DSG hi-cap cooler - unless you are measuring engine oil temperatures and see excessive temps under extreme load situations.

In the winter, more cooling could be a negative - longer warmups and less efficient lubrication/fuel economy.

My thoughts... I believe additional engine oil cooling is a benefit when used to enhance overall engine cooling in high stress situations "and" when the cooling system is already overtaxed or barely adequate. We just don't see oil degradation as being a problem, and I've/we've had lots of 6.5 oil analyzed through the years.

Jim

sctrailrider
07-17-2012, 12:25
Well Jim, the few that I have talked to that have a oil temp gauge in a 6.5 tell me that they often see a sustained 300*+ oil temp while towing heavy,( a bit high me thinks) and both of them are using the DSG high cap cooler... I will be towing heavy ( a 12K G- neck trailer) 99% of the time and in the hills... I am thinking that it couldn't hurt anything. and in winter, I would just cover the big one up..