PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler line and starter questions on a 2000 K3500

reynog
05-20-2004, 04:39
My oil cooler lines appear to be leaking pretty good now and I want to repair/replace them.
Are there any kits out there for the later model 6.5s to accomplish this?

I also need to replace my starter. It's " dragging " when you start after the engine is hot. Doesn't do it when the engine is cold.
Any headache avoidance tips for the task?
What brands of starter should I use or avoid?

Thanks

tom.mcinerney
05-21-2004, 18:54
For oil lines, see
<http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006464>.

The OEM starter is a fine machine, with gear-reduction, made by Nippondenso. Most starter failures result from cranking with weak battery(ies). Bad cables, connections at batt and ground, same effect. If cable end at starter loose, can deteriorate the stud's mtg.
Some models/years require shimming for proper clearance between starter/flywheel gears. Wiring access thru wheelwell, under/remove rubber 'skirt' draped from inner fender. Reinstall bracket at rear. Member 'Dogdiesel' strongly suggests renewing 2 large starter mtg bolts.
I would look thru TDP advertiser's section for sources. I enjoy patronizing local rebuilders rather than the aftermarket chains. For quality control, the dealer is probably best bet.
Several members run aftermarket alternators, don't know of any using aftermarket starters.