PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Gears

Cougar
07-16-2012, 04:59
My 2008 Chevy 2500 HD with automatic transmission has a "D" and an "M" on the gear selector. When towing, I use "D" and "Tow Mode" on.

Can I shift from "D" to "M" while the truck is in motion, or must I come to a stop to shift from "D" to "M"?

I would like to try using "M' to engage engine braking on down grades.

This seems like a dumb question, but I could not find the answer in the Operators Manual. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Kennedy
07-16-2012, 06:28
Sure you can. It will move the cursor over and brackets will surround your current gear. It will not shift above this gear unless you manually select upward.

Bear in mind that. the brackets do not necessarily "force" any shifting. They never force upshift and have limited affect on downshift based on speed. In other words there is some level of protection.

DmaxMaverick
07-16-2012, 10:09
John is right. Once you shift to M, it will hold what you had until you select up or down, or when conditions change that take out of range. Although you can shift manually, it won't let you choose a range outside of a safe engine speed, high or low. It won't lug too low, or rev too high, and will still shift automatically to keep it within the range.

Cougar
07-17-2012, 05:17
Thank you for the replies. You are a great help.