PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Drip

Splitrimz
09-25-2005, 11:39
Hi,
Out of the left side of the gooseneck, looking into the engine, there is a metal fitting with a pipe that seems to run down into the area of the heater. It is dripping coolant at this fitting and it is surrounded by a greenish corrosion.
Before I turn the wrenches loose I would like to know if I can repair. Is there some type of gasket in this fitting? Is it a dealer only item, etc. AllData doesn't seem to show any info on this.

Thanks for any help.

Splitrimz, '94 Chevy 6.5 TD, 6 Pack, DRW.

BobND
09-25-2005, 11:50
Sounds like you are talking about the quick-attach fitting for the heater line that feeds out of the RH side of the water crossover.

If so, simply replace the fitting. Some are steel, and some are "pot metal". If it is the pot metal type, likely it has about corroded to nothing, and will break before it ever unscrews, necessitating cutting and chipping the remainder out of the intake manifold. Also, the heater line is aluminum, and may be corroded in the area where the fitting's "O" ring seals, making it necessary to replace the heater line, also.

The fitting is available at auto parts stores that carry generic parts by Dorman or "Help", or some such outfits, or better yet, just get it from a dealer.

If the line appears fit for re-use, also carefully check the hose that connects that line to the heater core. I have seen them bulge, ready to blow, and also have seen several that were routed so they rubbed on the turbo heat shield, and are cut.

I have seen where people have simply replaced the whole pipe and hose assembly AND the fitting with a heater hose barb, and simply run a length of quality heater hose from the fitting back to the heater.

BobND
09-25-2005, 11:52
"necessitating cutting and chipping the remainder out of the intake manifold." should read:

necessitating cutting and chipping the remainder out of the water crossover.

Splitrimz
09-25-2005, 16:00
Thanks for the advice, I'll pick up a replacement this week. Another question, as this is called a quick disconnect, how does it quick disconnect? All I can tell is that it has to be unscrewed from the crossover, it does not seem to function like any other quick disconnects I've run across.

Splitrimz

jspringator
09-25-2005, 16:13
Bob, that is exactly what happed to mine. Mechanic had to chip it out. Apparently it happened so frequently he is well familiar with the procedure.

BobND
09-25-2005, 17:58
Originally posted by Splitrimz:
Thanks for the advice, I'll pick up a replacement this week. Another question, as this is called a quick disconnect, how does it quick disconnect? All I can tell is that it has to be unscrewed from the crossover, it does not seem to function like any other quick disconnects I've run across.

Splitrimz You depress the 2 nylon tabs directly accross from each other, and then the pipe, AND the plastic piece with the tabs all are SUPPOSED TO pull out of the fitting.

Incidently, there is a numbered flat rubber washer way down inside that fitting that functions as a flow restrictor to the heater water flow.

The fitting part number, and the number on the rubber restrictor vary between various engine and vehicle applications. I don't know if there is any importance to that or not, just something I've noticed, and I'm passing it along for what it's worth.