PDA

View Full Version : stabilzer bar

Gene888
07-19-2012, 14:31
96 k3500 TD CC DRW, 173,000

Purchased used so I have no idea of its true history.
Noticed that the bolt and spacers on the stabilizer bar was missing on one side. Picked up a replacement, its the same size as the one that was still connected. I cant seem to get enough threads to show on the new one to make a connection. Wheels off up, on jackstands at frame, stabilizer bar dissconnect from frame. Any suggestions?

Also am going to replace entire front brakes, rotors, calipers(one is frozen), pads, and hoses. No real questions there. Also want to do upper and lower ball joints...... It appears that the uppers hav been previously replaced, since they are bolted on. The lowers seemed to be pressed in...am I correct there? any tricks to those?

Many thanks!

Gene888
07-23-2012, 09:40
From what I can find....I need to release the tension on the torsion bars with an unloader. Is there any other method? Also, still looking for confirmation on the ball joints.....is it possible that the uppers are riveted and the lowers are pressed?

I noticed that I accidently posted this in the 6.2......should be in the 6.5TD forum(sorry)

argo
07-23-2012, 10:00
Is your suspension on the side of the truck that you are working on supporting any weight? If the jackstand is under the frame, then put your floor jack under the control arm and jack up until it is supporting nearly all the weight on that corner. You should be able to get the swaybar link in no sweat.

Gene888
07-23-2012, 15:59
No dice on trying to place the jack under the control arm. Guess I will have to find an unloader!

argo
07-24-2012, 06:30
Is the other side on the ground still? (I hadn't thought of that before). If so, it will compress the suspension on that side and pull the swaybar up on the side you are working on. If you raise the other side so the suspension is unloaded on both sides, it should work out okay. Unloading the torsion bar should be the last resort, because they can be difficult to get equally set again on both sides. I will admit that with all the experience I do have, I have little experience with torsion bars, so I admit I might be incorrect in that assessment.