PDA

View Full Version : swap 5.7 tbi for 6.2 am I off my rocker

Vin82k3500
07-29-2012, 18:29
In the last few years of playing around with the 6.2 diesel and now replaceing my 6.2 in my truck with a custom configured longblock from penninsular diesel I am considerring swapping the gas guzzling 5.7 in the wifes 95 grocery getter with a fresh 6.2 with a stock gm turbo setup it looks that if I get the first generation serpentine belt setup I can still use the same ac compressor and I can wire in a tps for a 93 and the tach signal by using the cam sensor for a 6.5 I would upgrade to the 4l60e converter that is made for the diesel and keep most of the sensors all in tack as it would need the pcm for the transmission as far as wiring goes electrical is my master the truck has the larger radiator it is set up well for the diesel it has 3.73s I have most of what I would need to make this setup work in this truck just considering the option of getting better mpg in the truck that gets 11 mpg.

dixiepc
07-30-2012, 07:22
It'll get better mileage. I put a N/A 6.2 in my 1992 gasser Suburban and went from 11.5 mpg to 15.5 mpg. I don't know what highway mileage would be as I have not been on any trips longer than 20 miles. All this driving has been around town and in the mountains.

greatwhite
07-30-2012, 14:33
Well, from a cost return stand point, I dunno.

You're looking at around 18-20 mpg in the very best case scenario.

That's only 7-9 mpg more.

You'll have several thousand in the truck by the time you're done.

How much gas will that account for in the mpg difference?

I'm thinking several years of operation at least. Maybe close to 5 or 6 years.

Now, if the 95's engine is ready to die, you'd be replacing the engine soon anyways so.......well, you know.

:cool:

Vin82k3500
07-30-2012, 16:25
well I have almost everything to do the swap that I would need so the only things I need to put it in are the 93 tps and the diesel torque converter getting the 11 mpg it costs 700 dollars a month for fuel my 82 with an n/a 6.5 gets 24 now my 6.5 was ordered with n/a precups and I know my 82 weighs 1000 punds less anyway than her 95 as far as engine condition the frost plug behing the rt side motor mount is leaking and I need to pull the engine to fix it other wise it runs well if she would drive my car more I wouldnt consider it but she always whines about driving my car and how she hates it I would put a 4.3 in it but with the auto I dont think it would do much better unlike my 5 speed that was great so let me figure this out she drives 2100 miles a month give or take 50 and burns 196 gallons of gas a month if she got 20 mpg that would be a savings of 91 gallons a month thats over 300 dollars a month I think it would be well worth it and she could drive her truck and not need my car and my boss has a mint 94 that needs a nice 5.7 last month I threatened to take the 5.7 out and put a 4.3 in it and she said if it would be better on gas to do so she is much more in love with the truck than I am however I just did cab corners on it and put a rust free frame from texas under it in april 300 a month times 12 is 3600 I guess if it did cost me 7 grand to do the swap it would take only about 2 years at most to recoop that and considering its got a frost plug I need to fix before november or im gonna be buying alot of prestone I know I would have to sell my 98 serp brackets and get 95 ones not a big rush to do it I have been looking for an early 90s 2wd ext cab shortbed with a 6.2 as a highway truck just not easy to find around here cause I would fix one I have been hearding up all the 6.2s around me before they go to the crusher and some 6.5s as well guess im not keeping enough 94 up stuff a guy came to me 3 days ago looking for a gas pedal and I told him I gave the whole ds4 setup I had to a buddy who lost his I traded it for 2 turbos actually like I said its a thought as oposed to buying something else she wont drive.

Vin82k3500
07-30-2012, 16:32
It'll get better mileage. I put a N/A 6.2 in my 1992 gasser Suburban and went from 11.5 mpg to 15.5 mpg. I don't know what highway mileage would be as I have not been on any trips longer than 20 miles. All this driving has been around town and in the mountains.
what trans do you have in that

greatwhite
07-30-2012, 17:39
Brother, you really have to start breaking up those long posts into paragraphs or use periods or something.

I had to stop reading about 3 lines in...just too hard on my tired old eyes....

dixiepc
07-30-2012, 18:34
I've got a gasser 700R4 with a diesel torque converter, works great. If you'll look at my sig you will see that my Suburban is lifted alot with 4.10 gears and tires that roll out at 35". Not bad mileage huh?

P.S. I've only got about $1000 in my conversion.

john8662
07-30-2012, 21:07
I'm looking for a 1995 2WD 4 Door Tahoe for a diesel conversion. I have a 1995 single cable long bed that's got some cab fire damange, starts, runs. Thinking of taking all the wiring out of the Diesel and putting it into a tahoe and doing a diesel conversion with that. Just need a 1995 though...

N/A 6.2 wouldn't be bad either for your 5.7tbi to 6.2 conversion. Doesn't have to have a turbo.

You'll also need to change the TCM/ECM to allow the transmission to have diesel shift points. Probable doable with a prom change.

Vin82k3500
07-31-2012, 16:16
Brother, you really have to start breaking up those long posts into paragraphs or use periods or something.

I had to stop reading about 3 lines in...just too hard on my tired old eyes....
sorry great white I will try to do better

Vin82k3500
07-31-2012, 16:20
I've got a gasser 700R4 with a diesel torque converter, works great. If you'll look at my sig you will see that my Suburban is lifted alot with 4.10 gears and tires that roll out at 35". Not bad mileage huh?

P.S. I've only got about $1000 in my conversion.
not bad at all her average stinks

Vin82k3500
07-31-2012, 16:24
I'm looking for a 1995 2WD 4 Door Tahoe for a diesel conversion. I have a 1995 single cable long bed that's got some cab fire damange, starts, runs. Thinking of taking all the wiring out of the Diesel and putting it into a tahoe and doing a diesel conversion with that. Just need a 1995 though...

N/A 6.2 wouldn't be bad either for your 5.7tbi to 6.2 conversion. Doesn't have to have a turbo.

You'll also need to change the TCM/ECM to allow the transmission to have diesel shift points. Probable doable with a prom change.
good point on the ecm I think shift points were the one thing I overlooked

and sometimes that one thing can be a real pain in the @ doulble $

like my diesel starter in my advance adapers bellhousing

I just want to make her truck a little cheaper to drive and I think the

n/a 6.2 or with a gm3 maybey would suit her fine

its alot of truck to be a grocery getter but she loves it

Vin82k3500
07-31-2012, 16:32
ok so Great white if you didnt read it all I will make it better boy what I got

to look forward to if your over the hill at 40 where are you at 39

my thought is that if her truck got 20 mpg it would save us over 300 dollars a

month thats a savings of over 3600 a year and since I have most of what