PDA

View Full Version : Injector Pump for 6.2

royalglen
07-31-2012, 19:31
I have an injector pump on the shelf DB289YL 4153 and need to know if it will work on an 86 GMC 6.2

Robyn
08-01-2012, 11:48
HI

The 4153 Pump came from the 1982-83 Heavy duty application 6.2

The pump should work fine on the 86

The major differences are the fuel delivery and emissions.

If the pump you have is in good shape it will work.

Missy

royalglen
08-03-2012, 09:28
Thanks for the advice.

tomtaylor
09-23-2012, 20:28
Anyone know?
I picked up a used 6.2 from a 88 burb and I was test running it in my garage to see if it was good enough to drop in my truck instead of rebuilding it. One thing I noticed was the sound of the injector pump gears when I pulled of the oil filler cap to see if there was blowby! I don't remember hearing the gears on my previous engine but I might have just not been paying attention, the ringing sound caught me by surprise but maybe that is normal. What do you say about it???

One other item was that this engine came with the 700R4 and the computer and I noticed an electrical plug on top of the vac pump, do you know if this is for the trans or would the 88 burb have had a tachometer?? If not a tach will this unit run an aftermarket tach??

Thanks for your answers!!

tomtaylor
10-02-2012, 13:26
Ok after I asked above about the wires on the vac pump drive I looked through my TDP books and found the article about that very item so that question is solved.

As for the noisy pump gears I tore down the front cover to inspect pump gears and timing chain to find every thing in good working order although I did swap out the timing chain because I was in there anyway and I had a couple of new chains laying around so why not.

The engine will be in the truck this coming weekend.... also this time I made my self a draw bolt for reinstalling the harmonic damper cost me about $2.50 in nuts and bolts at Home Depot and 2 minutes to weld it all to a spare damper bolt.