PDA

View Full Version : Window Regulator?

More Power
08-01-2012, 14:56
I've noticed over the past couple of months that the driver's side window traveled up/down a little slower than normal - just noticeable. I thought maybe the motor was slowing down...

Today, I attempted to buzz the window down to get the mail. It went down a few inches, then I heard a pop, like what you hear when a pea sized rock pings the windshield at speed. Now, the window is loose from the regulator. I could pull the window up, but it's loose from the regulator.

I'll be pulling the door panel this evening to see what's going on. Anyone have this happen?

Jim

More Power
08-02-2012, 09:38
Pulled the door panel off last evening. I discovered that the window regulator (mechanism that moves the window up/down) utilizes a complicated series of lightweight cables, pulleys and a small electric motor to move the window. One of the cables had a 2" section that was badly corroded/frayed/broken. The smack I heard was the last thread in the cable snapping.

Since the cable system collapsed, it'll take some time figuring out how to reconstruct it all. Odd, but the remainder of the cable lengths looked fine and without any corrosion - just a short 2" section. I'll have photos once I get it figured out....

Jim

rapidoxidationman
08-02-2012, 19:39
For reassembly, would pulling the passenger door panel (and observing the linkage inside) work as a mirror image? Might also give you the opportunity to see if the same corrosion is present in there and give you the chance to address it before it becomes expensive.

More Power
08-02-2012, 22:31
For reassembly, would pulling the passenger door panel (and observing the linkage inside) work as a mirror image? Might also give you the opportunity to see if the same corrosion is present in there and give you the chance to address it before it becomes expensive.

Thanks. It appears the complete regulator is sold only as an assembly - fully assembled with a new motor, slides and cables already strung and secured. So, it won't take long to install a replacement, which is on order - from GMPartsDirect.com for about $111 delivered. There are slightly cheaper alternatives available from other sources, probably made in China, but I opted for a genuine GM part.

Yes, I thought about the other window regulators in the truck... it's a 4-door. Don't know if I want to look for trouble.... :confused: I'm surprised we haven't heard of this before from rust belt truck owners.... Jim

richp
08-03-2012, 04:45
Hi Jim,

The passenger side regulator went out on my '01, maybe about 7 years into ownership. Northern Illinois location. Basically the same advance symptoms you described, followed by total failure.

FWIW.

More Power
08-03-2012, 11:10
I'll put together a tech page once the new regulator arrives and has been installed, showing how to remove the door panel and install the hardware. The door panel came off pretty easily once I figured out where that last screw was located (behind the power window/door lock switch panel). I used a tech article written by Moderator Todd Smith a few years ago, that showed how to install the newer mirrors on an earlier truck. Todd needed to remove the door panel to get to the wiring. Unfortunately, Todd's truck was a couple years newer than mine, and the door panel attachment was a little different. Overall not to bad.... :)

Jim

Yukon6.2
08-16-2012, 23:07
Hi All
The wifes truck,03 sierra crew cab had an issue with the passenger front window.
One trip it quite about 1/2 way up about 20 miles from town,next morning worked like normal.
Yesterday she is in the big city and the window wouln't move and it's right down,truck full of parts groceries ect,of course i'm at home 100 miles away,she tried all she could, checked the fuses,switched relays,nothing.
Anyhow this morning still the same, so seeing winter is around the corner i decide to try to figure out the problem.Power was getting to the motor and switching polarity as it was switched.
So i started to disect eventually getting the complete assembaly out.
Finally found the culprit,somehow water got into the gearcase/motor assembaly and rusted the shaft enough to bind the motor.
In the end i was able to completely disasemble the motor/gearcase,cleaned and lubed with some Superlube.Reasembaled somehow, without losing anything for good.
Seems to be workin good,i told her to use it everytime she uses the truck,get some time on it.The truck used to live in Alaska right by the ocean,so mabey that had something to do with it.The cables were all like new.
Took me a long time from start to finish,but no option for parts for at least a week,so i hope it wasn't wasted time.
Would i do it again,probly i'm pretty cheap and prefer to fix than replace.
Would i ever buy a new truck with power windows?Not if i had a choice,most of my vehicles are unwanted orphans i bring back to life.
Every vehicle i'v owned with power windows has had problems at some point,but i'v never had one with manual windows give me a hint of problems.
Hope this helps someone,if you are carefull you can service the motor and gears,nothing you can't do with a couple of small screwdrivers and miss tools.
Have Fun
Thomas

More Power
08-17-2012, 08:51
Yukon,

You did what I probably would have done. I tend to be a fixer when I can. According to the GM service manual, the regulator's electric motor is a replaceable item, though I couldn't find it listed separately in the gmpartsdirect.com online catalog.

I received the new regulator yesterday. A complete new regulator w/motor isn't that expensive and it was pretty easy to install. Getting the tape residue off the door frame, from the duct tape I used to hold the window up, was the hardest part.

Jim

Yukon6.2
08-17-2012, 21:48
Hi Jim
Funny you should mention the duct tape,i did the same.
Yesterday was a blistering hot day,on the second atempt,the first was to easy. I was in the shop and i heard a crash:eek: considering the day i was having i knew what it was.
I went out to look and sure enough the window was gone...
knowing how easy these windows explode i was expecting a door full of land fill.
Much to my surprise the window was intact..so that was the silver lining of the day,the working window is the icing.
Seeing how yours will be replaced,mabey pop the cover off the gearbox on yours and see if there is any rust.
Thomas

More Power
08-18-2012, 15:28
When it's hot, duct tape is not a good choice. The sticky side softens to a point that gravity will allow the window to slowly slide down. Clear packaging tape held up better in the summer sun, and left less residue.

Wear gloves when reaching through the metal cutouts in the door... Lots of sharp edges. ;)

Jim