PDA

View Full Version : 1992-93 6.2 NA CA legal conversion for Jeep Grand Wagoneer

19916.2gw
08-06-2012, 11:25
Hi newbie here to the forum but not to GM diesels sold 1995 K1500 599 6.2TD(Diesel Depot built) to my brother 3 years ago.

Project: 1992 or 1993 6.2 NA into 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It must be from 1/2 ton donor with all emissions equipment like from factory with emissions label and epa label in place to make it legal in CA.

Questions to the forum:
1. Where are the labels located? The Diesel Depot has "VIN Donor" 1993 6.2 C1500 no labels.
2. Is thread in wrong location-I will put in conversion section when I actually start conversion.

If any member can locate air cleaner and/or valve covers with readable labels I would gladly purchase.
thanks in advance, tod

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2012, 11:50
Welcome aboard!

Conversion from gas to Diesel on older vehicles in CA is much more simple than that. You don't need all that smog stuff, or the stickers, or EGR. You don't need one from a 1/2 ton. The title "MP" only needs to be reclassified to Diesel (D). CA doesn't emission test Diesel vehicles older than 1998, so once it's reclassified, it becomes exempt. The emission requirements on older vehicles only apply to vehicles that had the engine option originally. For example, if you were to convert a 91 Chevy truck from gas to Diesel, it would have to comply with the emission requirement of that model year and emission class, with that engine. However, once reclassified, it also would be come exempt, due to the model year requirement for inspection. You would have to use an engine with 1/2 ton emission system, although the engine does not have to, necessarily, be from a 1/2 ton. This would not apply if you installed a Cummins engine, as there was no Cummins engine option or emission certification for GM 1/2 ton trucks in 1991. Jeep Wagoneer had no emission standard for Diesel engines in 1991, therefor, doesn't apply. DMV merely needs to certify that the "MP" is in fact, Diesel before allowing it to be reclassified. Actually affixing emission labels onto a vehicle that was never certified for those label standards is unlawful.

19916.2gw
08-06-2012, 13:13
I understand the legality part. My intent was not to affix labels on the Jeep. My understanding which may be wrong is that for such a conversion the donor engine must be from the same year and newer in the same GWVR class-I cannot put a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel engine into a 1/2 ton vehicle. You are correct once fuel type is D on the registration I am exempt. I'm cluless on "MP". A member on IFSJA.org who has done such a conversion stated it was a visual inspection and the epa/emissions labels were the key getting registered as diesel vehicle. I would love to put J intake and be done with it-I am trying to be very "by the book" so that it is one visit to the smog ref and done.
thanks for info

19916.2gw
08-06-2012, 13:28
2GCEK19G8P1210461 should be 1993 6.2NA, What is the engine rpo code?
What is the best method of VIN decoding?

19916.2gw
08-06-2012, 13:53
The 8th should be C hopefully copied down wrong should be rpo LH6. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2012, 14:10
I understand the legality part. My intent was not to affix labels on the Jeep. My understanding which may be wrong is that for such a conversion the donor engine must be from the same year and newer in the same GWVR class-I cannot put a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel engine into a 1/2 ton vehicle. You are correct once fuel type is D on the registration I am exempt. I'm cluless on "MP". A member on IFSJA.org who has done such a conversion stated it was a visual inspection and the epa/emissions labels were the key getting registered as diesel vehicle. I would love to put J intake and be done with it-I am trying to be very "by the book" so that it is one visit to the smog ref and done.
thanks for info

The "same model emission class and weight class" requirement applies only to like-engine replacement. I'm dealing with one right now, which may turn into a nightmare for the owner (2002 Duramax replaced with a 2001 Duramax, before the emission inspection requirement). Still, you cannot affix, associate, or be required to display, any emission label not certified for the vehicle in question. You can "uprate" emission standards, but the original emission standard for the vehicle (not the engine) still applies, as a minimum. This does not apply when reclassifying the "MP", when the resulting emission standard is exempt by default (such as a vehicle that was never certified for the fuel type post-conversion). Engine and fuel type conversions are very popular in CA. On common conversion is the gas to Diesel, reclass, then switch back to gas and be emission requirement-free. It is actually somewhat legal to do this, and a lot of muscle-car freaks do this to get away from smog requirements on sports cars. Once a vehicle is reclassified, it starts a new life.

"MP" is "method of propulsion", which is "D" if it's a Diesel, "G" for gasoline.

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2012, 14:34
2GCEK19G8P1210461 should be 1993 6.2NA, What is the engine rpo code?
What is the best method of VIN decoding?

According to this VIN:

(2G) Canada built, GM
(C) Chevrolet Light Truck
(E) 6001-7000# GVWR w/ hydraulic brakes
(K) GMT-400, 4x4
(1) 1500 series - 1/2 ton
(9) Extended cab/van
(G) Engine type (G-LD2, 2.3L, L4, which is probably wrong/typo, should be C-LH6, 6.2L, V8, LD Diesel; J-LL4, 6.2L, V8, HD Diesel; or F-L65, 6.5L, V8, HD Diesel)
(P) 1993 model year

DmaxMaverick
08-06-2012, 14:36
The 8th should be C hopefully copied down wrong should be rpo LH6. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

No problem. I included the G, and the other Diesel options.

19916.2gw
08-06-2012, 18:59
This is encouraging news, I may have originally been misinformed-I may call CARB but might be a lot of wasted time.

I have a 2002 Dmax Federal emission compliant(non CA, no egr, no cat). When I originally took the truck to the smog ref @ Golden West JC in Huntingting Beach the ref said it was a "grey or black market truck" after I showed him the rpo code print out from the dealer with correct VIN. It didn't help that the dash cluster was metric and french labels here and there. After more research I found the EPA sticker on the valve cover. I made an appt with smog ref @ Cal St Fullerton who had spoken with previous ref-he looked at the epa label did a visual inpection 10 min later on my way. My recent dmax smog last week first test station said he wouldn't test because milage in kilometers went down the street luckily more reasonable test guy. As you can see, I want to do this by the book so I dont have to jump through a bunch of hoops depending on who is looking at the vehicle. I love where I live but sometimes...:eek:

19916.2gw
08-08-2012, 11:38
The 8th character is in fact c and engine rpo code is LH6 in glove box. The wagoneer is in Washington state. Would there be any benefit to title the wagoneer with the MP D(diesel) up there prior to bringing to CA?

DmaxMaverick
08-08-2012, 12:24
Are you getting this vehicle from a friend/family member, or an unknown private party? Reclassifying it in WA may be more simple than CA. Compare the requirements. WA doesn't require CA smog, so it may be a moot point. Also, WA may not emission test Diesels at all, you'll have to check that one. If not, it may be more simple all the way around. In any case, the completed conversion will have to be presented to the state you are reclassifying it, so, if you are doing the conversion in CA, the vehicle will have to be taken to WA for the verification if it's being done there. There are a lot of variables to consider....

Manimal
08-22-2012, 07:51
Ok, if I may add some input here....I was told by a friend at DMV, that all I would have to do for the conversion is...do it, take it to DMV fill out a statement of facts stating the fuel type had been change from gas to diesel. They(DMV) would come out verify fuel type,look at eh EPA label and reclassify the title. Simple as that.
I ALSO talked to a California smog ref. He told me that I could do the 6.2 or a Mercedes or some other light duty diesel swap into my '88 Wagoneer...NO CUMMINS, NO IH, NO DURAMAX, NO POWERCHOKE......also I would not need any documentation because of the year, no labels, nothing. They would verify that it was a 6.2 and reclassify the title right there. They dont get too picky about the older swaps because(as stated earlier) California does not smog diesels before 1998.
My project came to a hault as the frame on my Wagoneer is broken and in places that it should not be....Just a bad frame.

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2012, 08:57
I'm not sure of the DMV's authority to tell you that Duramax, Cummins or the others are not allowed. Duramax and Cummins swaps are very common, even on later vehicles, post 1998. I haven't heard of any problems with reclassifying them. Actually, swapping a 6.5L into a 98 or later GM light truck/SUV presents the most hassle. They have to comply with the emission standard for that vehicle, as the 6.5L engine was an OEM option, and was certified as such, and emission testing would be required. If the vehicle has a GVWR of less than 8600, EGR, correct PCM, and a cat is required. It would also apply to 2001+ gasser trucks (9200 GVWR and greater) with a Duramax swap, but a Suburban, Hummer, or any other vehicle, is exempt. Duramax swaps into late model 2500 (2000+ non HD) and 1500HD's are common, and they aren't required to be smogged.

Manimal
08-22-2012, 12:42
I realize i didnt state NONE of the HD diesels in a LD vehicle is what I meant to write. Over a certain GVW then most swaps are legal if done correctly. My Wagoneer is/was considered a light duty vehicle,therefore a 6.2/6.5 would be a legal swap because they were available in light duty vehicles such as blazers,1/2t trucks and 1/2t suburbans...all LD vehicles.
So when I said no cummins,PS,IH or Duramax I meant for the light duty vehicles only..,only because they were in Heavy Duty vehicles. Sorry.

DmaxMaverick
08-22-2012, 16:23
The DMV doesn't recognize what we call "HD", or "LD". They recognize body style, weight ranges, and application (commercial, etc.). A "Light Truck" is the same, and are only separated according to weight ratings, which determines the emission standard. A "MD" or "HD", to the DMV, are vehicles 26,001 and greater GVWR. Duramax and Cummins engines are very popular for 1/2 and 3/4 ton light trucks and SUV swaps. I've seen dozens, and assisted with more than a few. The weight rating class, as it applies to the engine and emission standard, ONLY applies to vehicles that had that powertrain as an option from the factory. For example, a 2002 1500HD was never optioned with a Duramax, but you can swap one in. Same story for the same year 1500 Suburban or pickup. They will be emission tested the same as 2001 Duramax trucks, with only a code and visual smoke check. However, if you have a 2001 or later 2500HD with a 6.0/8.1L, you can swap in a Duramax, but it must comply with the emission standard of the truck model year. It does not, if you swap in a Cummins, as Cummins was not an option, and would be inspected similarly to 2001 trucks. The deciding factor is emission standard certification. If a vehicle has a fuel (MP) reclass, and that vehicle did not have that MP option originally, then there is NO standard to determine the emission class. Therefor, they default to the basic inspection standard for that fuel class. Meaning, for 1998 and later trucks with a Diesel swap (when no Diesel was an OEM option), they are subject to a visual smoke check (Gross Polluter check). I've seen some exempted completely (no further inspections required), which may be due to the mood or ignorance of the DMV inspector. If the SES lamp is on , it won't pass without a trip to the Referee, but only one time to have the SES exempted from the inspection. If someone is going that far, the SES lamp should have been disabled, appropriate software adjusted, or the emission system restored to the engine as original.

More Power
08-23-2012, 14:46
In the final analysis, your state has established its own regulations for vehicle licensing and registration. The EPA does not register or license motor vehicles. Your state laws and their interpretation are the final arbiter of what sort of private-party engine conversions are permissible and which are not.

Once completing a gas to diesel conversion, you must re-register your vehicle to reflect the current fuel type. This is important from a regulatory standpoint because some states don’t require periodic diesel emissions testing, and some do. Re-registering the fuel type will also prevent you from being required to meet any gas engine emissions testing required by your state or locality.

When I completed my gas/diesel conversion, I simply visited the local Montana DMV and requested that the fuel type be changed. They did without a question. No one looked at the truck or asked me to verify anything.

Those living in states having the strictest emissions regulations would do well to visit the web links listed below, and print out the documents (with a date stamp) pertaining to their situation. Laws have a way of changing, so having copies of the applicable laws and regulations that were in effect at the time of your conversion could help simplify your ownership in the future.

Concerning what's legal and what's not depends on an interpretation of the various state and federal documents pertaining to engine switching. An individual state regulator could have an altogether different interpretation than we might.

www.epa.gov/otaq/epg/statepgs.htm (http://www.epa.gov/otaq/epg/statepgs.htm)
www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf (http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engswitch.pdf)

JeepSJ
10-01-2012, 14:40
As someone who has actually completed a diesel swap into a Grand Wagoneer and registered it in CA, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

It really is (or was when I did it) as simple as filling out the statement of facts and having it visually inspected.

Too bad about the broken frame. A DieselWag makes for a great daily driver. I've got 60K miles on my swap.