PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help!

vsandme
08-13-2012, 14:19
Ive been driving this 1994 6.5turbo 2wd 2500 for a little over a week and have noticed a couple of wierd things. On an incline my SES light will come on while climbing it go off at the peak. With a light trailer it does it at even less of a grade... If i push the throttle down a little the light will go off. Also if i put on my windshield wipers the SES light comes on and when i turn the wipers off the water in fuel light flashes on for a second then both lights go off... has any one seen this?

jamesm
08-13-2012, 14:47
Grounds, grounds, grounds!

vsandme
08-13-2012, 14:50
Possibly a ground within the signal/cruise/wipers/highbeam switch? as the high beam switch doesnt work and the right turn signal wont lock in place

DennisG01
08-14-2012, 16:16
For whatever reason, these engines seem overly sensitive to grounding issues. But, on the bright side, problems could be worse I guess.

Start with the main grounds - including the batteries. Don't trust your eyes alone - remove each one, inspect the connection and also try to take a look at the wire as it goes into the sheathing. Then clean and reattach.

If they look original, one of the best things you could do is simply replace all grounds and positives. Upgrade the wires a size or two larger, while you're at it. Also, don't skimp on quality - in the long run it's worth a few extra bucks now to save headaches later.

vsandme
08-15-2012, 13:23
Thanks, Ive since started checking.

The truck seems to build alot of pressure in the fuel tank, when i open the cap it hisses alot. Im pretty sure this is bad, could this attribute to any SES light issues?

Robyn
08-15-2012, 17:02
Be sure to check the two (2) grounds at the rear of the engine on the Pass side.

These are main harness grounds and can effect a lot of things.

Engine to chassis braided ground RH rear.
Both battery grounds at the engine.

Body ground at the engine too.

If this does not produce anything, then dig under the dash on the LH side and check the ground buss bar there.

Any time you turn something on and something else gets Hinky, Its almost always a ground issue.

BACK FEEDING

Good luck

Missy

DennisG01
08-15-2012, 19:41
The truck seems to build alot of pressure in the fuel tank, when i open the cap it hisses alot. Im pretty sure this is bad, could this attribute to any SES light issues?

Depends. What are the codes? But, no, it won't cause the other problems you are experiencing. Unless... are you also low on blinker fluid?

On the other hand, "a lot" is, unfortunately a relative term and very hard to qualify via words. It is normal to get some hissing, especially with a tank that is low on fuel.

Does you cap say "diesel" on it? It should. Get one if it doesn't say it. Don't buy the cheapest one you can find - I've read that sometimes they are really just a gasser cap in diesel clothing.

Find a friend with a diesel truck and compare, if you're worried. If you're really worried, buy a new one.

Robyn
08-16-2012, 16:37
If you are low on Blinker fluid, be real sure to get the "Type A2" fluid

The stuff that Ford uses will cause corrosion in the contacts. :D

Just could not help myself

Missy

vsandme
08-16-2012, 17:17
Hardy Har Har, lol Checked the blinker fluid seemed fine? ;) But believe it or not the uphill SES light stopped appearing when i ran with the fuel cap loose. The main grounds are clean and seem well.... HOWEVER in my adventures i did notice what appeared to be deep fried rat poop. Seeing this may lead me to have an idea of what might of caused this ground issue, now just to find where. Hope the previous owner knows he has a rodent problem

a5150nut
08-16-2012, 18:05
Might be a good time to check for a short between the seat and the stearing wheel too!

Welcome to TDP.

Robyn
08-17-2012, 05:33
You should pull the codes and see wasssssup.

Depending on what codes pop up, may give us far more insight into what the issue is.

Grounds sure seems like the issue though.

Rodents can wreak havoc for sure, especially the larger ones.
Mice can be very anoying, but rats are downright nasty.

A friend had one set up house keeping in the Fender Snorkel on his six and a half.

The mileage went south, so he went looking and discovered the large rodent living in the air intake system.

Good luck

Missy

DennisG01
08-17-2012, 09:42
One of the reasons for the SES light coming on could be the fuel cap. But you won't know until you check the codes (reset and see what comes back) -- there could be other reasons, as well. Either way, the fuel cap issue is unrelated to the other actual problems you're experiencing.

Glad you got the blinker fluid filled - it's hard to find that reservoir bottle, sometimes! :D

vsandme
08-17-2012, 14:19
Ive found a black wire coming out of the steering colum tucked in the arm of it, looks like some sort of home made something going on ill be investigating it more this weekend when the amazing florida weather is a bit more forgiving

moondoggie
09-09-2012, 15:40
Once upon a time my 95 pickup lit up the SES & gave codes. There were zero issues with how the truck ran, but because the SES was lit, my CC wouldn't work.

None of the codes made any sense. I did LOTS of searching here on the Page. I summarized my findings in a new topic, & asked, "what else can I do?" I got a couple more suggestions, but they all pointed to grounds. I have the factory shop manual, so was able to find at least most of the grounds. I made 'em all shiny & put external tooth lock washers between everything.

This ended the problem.

Grounds are worth looking into. On my 95, there was a big one on the frame right under the A/C drip vent on the passenger side. That one took some cleaning up.