PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Reliable Electronics

RHowe
08-14-2012, 02:08
My 2007 Classic LBZ has reached 125,000 miles. It continues to run well and I have no major complaints. BUT, I have had and continue to have intermittent problems with DTCs, Reduced Engine Power, dash indicator lights that glow at night when everything is turned off and other issues that indicate to me that I may have a bad ground or other electronic issue.

My difficulty in getting these problems looked at is that my wife and I travel overseas in this truck, which is fitted out as a Tiger motorhome. The truck has been in Europe for the past two and a half years, so taking it to the dealer is not an option.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Rick Howe
www.travelin-tortuga.com

More Power
08-14-2012, 09:40
Welcome to the board!

Begin by getting a handle on what trouble codes are being set and understanding what they may be indicating. So, do you have a list of codes?

Jim

RHowe
02-12-2013, 09:27
Jim. Please forgive the belated reply; I don't get on the forum all that often.

The code I get is P2138, Throttle Position Sensor. In November 2011 I had the TPS replaced in England and that took care of the problem for a few months, at which time it began to happen again, at first occasionally, then more often, just as before. In November 2012, in Turkey this time, a shop cleaned the EGR valve, saying that a sticking valve could also cause the code. This did indeed help things considerably, with no codes for several weeks and then just a single code. Any thoughts?

More Power
02-12-2013, 11:39
Jim. Please forgive the belated reply; I don't get on the forum all that often.

The code I get is P2138, Throttle Position Sensor. In November 2011 I had the TPS replaced in England and that took care of the problem for a few months, at which time it began to happen again, at first occasionally, then more often, just as before. In November 2012, in Turkey this time, a shop cleaned the EGR valve, saying that a sticking valve could also cause the code. This did indeed help things considerably, with no codes for several weeks and then just a single code. Any thoughts?

GM Technical Service Bulletin # 07-06-04-019: Intermittent MIL/SES, DTC P2138 with reduced engine power (Repair Instrument Panel (IP) to body harness connector). June 21, 2007

Models affected: 2005-2008 GM Passenger cars and light duty trucks (and others).

Corrective action: Locate the IP to body harness connector, which may be located in and around the left hand kick panel area. Check to see if there is a water leak into the area and repair as necessary.

The EGR system has its own unique set of trouble codes.... not related to the above.

Jim