PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump Replacement-Again

BrentN
08-20-2012, 20:55
On my 3rd vacuum pump in 6 years. #3 just failed tonight that I bought from Napa. Has anyone retrofitted an electric vacuum pump into their system? I really dont want to go to a mechanical boost control, but changing out the pump gets old.

There are several electrics on EBAY. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Diesel-or-Dodge-Cummins-Diesel-12-volt-Electric-Vacuum-Pump-53032373AC-/310421387004?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48468e76fc&vxp=mtr

The price is right and more importantly, hopefully the durability is better.

DmaxMaverick
08-20-2012, 22:14
That's a good pump, and would work to replace the mechanical pump. You'll still have to replace it as often, or more. The upside is, it less expensive and easier to replace. It's the same pump used for early Ford PS Diesels. It's also available at Summit for the same price. (I've done a few of these switches)

This pump IS NOT suitable for power brake applications!!!

Kennedy
08-21-2012, 07:38
Aftermarket vacuum pumps pretty much guarantee heartache and give teh vac pump a bad name. Only GM/Delco on the shelf here.

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2012, 10:36
Aftermarket vacuum pumps pretty much guarantee heartache and give teh vac pump a bad name. Only GM/Delco on the shelf here.

Normally I would agree. The aftermarket OEM-type pumps are usually junk. However, this is an electric pump option. The pump mentioned won't last as long as the OEM engine-driven pump (normally), but will work.

I'm working on an electric pump solution for an owner of a 2002 Duramax (CA smog, the same truck we had the PCM conversation about). He replaced the original engine with a 2001 engine, and now won't pass smog. I'm installing the original 2002 smog equipment onto the 2001 engine (including the electrical/harness), but he's opted to use an electric pump, due to the labor and additional hardware involved to install the original pump. In his words, it only has to work once, every 2 years. Fortunately, he kept the original engine and all the parts.

greatwhite
08-21-2012, 16:25
Subscribing for possible results.

I also prefer the vacuum wastegate system and have often wondered about an electric replacement.

I have run a Heath turbo master and while it does what it is advertised to do, I went back to the vacuum wastegate so I rework the calibration to reduce the boost at cruise conditions. The TM would hold 5 psi when adjusted to the 13 psi pop off (as recommended by the Heath instructions) on a Heath PCM unloaded at highway speeds. That's too high and killed off some MPG....

JohnC
08-22-2012, 18:35
I think John's point is that if you replace the OEM pump with another OEM pump, you won't be going through so many. My '95 had 160+k miles and was just breaking in the second pump when I traded it.

BrentN
08-23-2012, 12:42
Thanks everyone for your input. As it turns out, I must have knocked loose the vacuum line when I was laying up on the engine swapping the fuel filter out.