PDA

View Full Version : Weak brake issue...revisited

rustypig
04-30-2005, 20:47
Just had to do new front pads on the wifes 94 Sub. She went through a set of carbon metallic pads and into the rotors in less than two years. I put new ceramic pads up front after having the rotors turned. I also rebuilt the rears (new wheel cylinders, springs and raybestos brutestop shoes. After overhaul I feel like the rears are hardly doing any of the work they should be.

I've always told the wife that I hate the way her brakes feel. Always seems like too much effort needed to stop. Obviously these are some big A** brakes. They should be way more responsive for as large as they are.

I wonder if the proportioning valve is a culprit, or if the master cylinder is just shot. The pedal doesn't seem to bleed down at all.

I think the person that figures out how to make the C/K series hydro-boost 2500/3500 brakes work like they should will get rich.....I don't wanna get rich, just want to make the wifes ride SAFE enough to drive, (she loves the suburban and has refused my offer of buying her a different ride several times now). HOWEVER....If i can't get a warm fuzzy about these brakes soon I think she's gonna be driving an Expedition soon. Any educated guesses/S.W.A.G.S./or been there, done that's welcome at this point.

ace58
05-01-2005, 17:57
I have the same problem and short of converting to rear disc brakes like my 2004 Suburban, $$$, I keep after the rear brake adjustment.

a5150nut
05-01-2005, 19:23
rustypig,
The manual has a procedure to check the proportioning vaulve. I think it was first bleed the system and from ther I think it was an electrical check. I ran accross it while trying to dignose speedo problem. Mine checks down to being vssb (drak) in dealer speek.

damork
05-02-2005, 04:37
I installed the Raybestos Brutestop shoes but went an extra step and installed Powerslot rotors with Hawk Superduty pads on the front. I did this in Oct 03 and it really improved things. I ran for about 2 weeks with the Brutestop shoes before adding the rotors - there was some improvement but the big change was to the front. I understand Hawk Superduty pads are oem for Hummers.

Raybestos markets some drums they recommend for the shoes and I added both to my sons car. I don't think there is much you gain with shoes but overall the brutestop is better than what came on the truck.

Andy Chesek
05-02-2005, 04:44
I, too, went with Powerslot's slotted rotors and Hawk SuperDuty brakepads up front on my truck. What a great improvement over what I had...

I only ran the SuperDuty pads for about 2 months. The driver's side pads began to squeal really bad after two months, and all attempts to quiet them down would only last for a few days at best. I ended up getting a set of Raybestos BruteStop pads, and they've been great. There's slightly more pedal travel with the Raybestos pads, I think that's due to the Hawk pads being so think. But hey, I'm satisfied with my brakes. Don't hear that too often with these trucks.

ogrice
05-02-2005, 15:20
Before you shell out a lot of cash, check to see if your brake lines are cracking and bulging when you press the pedal. If they are, go with stainless steel brake lines. I got mine for only 35$$. The diameter of the front rotors and rear drums is plenty of braking power. I recommend to troubleshoot the problem until you find out the faulty component before going to deep in your pocket book if you can.

damork
05-02-2005, 17:25
93_Burrito

Just in case you still have your Hawk pads - don't pitch them. I too had squealing going on, but it will go away. I considered doing what you did, but it turns out the Hawk pads take some time to break in. They've settled down now and work very well.

Andy Chesek
05-02-2005, 17:54
I admit, I tossed the Hawk pads... In any case, I failed to mention earlier that I replaced the factory brake lines with Goodridge stainless steel lines when I put the PowerSlot rotors on. Been happy with the setup.

I put a set of Goodridge stainless steel lines on my girlfriend's 2-door Tahoe, and that was bad. The passenger side front tire rubbed through the brakeline in about a month. There were no fasteners to keep the line out of the way of the tire, unlike the fastener near the upper balljoint on my truck. Wound up replacing them with another set of rubber lines with hard pieces that angle away from the tires. 1 for 2 with the stainless...

schamp
05-03-2005, 03:57
One thing not usually mentioned is the power steering pump. Our trucks use the power steering pump to power the hydro-boost units. With 243 K on mine and having a new Avant engine I replaced the pump. I have always thought the brakes were crap on these things but mine got better with the new pump. I had already changed out the hydro-boost and master and some of the antilock. I have a new proportional valve which will be next. I also have changed out the drums to disk. My petal seems to be soft most of the time. Not as much after the pump was changed out. Good luck.

Andy Chesek
05-03-2005, 04:12
schamp,

Ever have your brake system power-bled?

schamp
05-03-2005, 08:40
Yes I have had them power bled. I purchased a power bleeder and they are a pain. The cover for our type of master cylinder doesn't work very well. Easy to loose a quart of brake fluid trying to get a good fit. Pump and hold still seems like the best way.