PDA

View Full Version : 2001-2007 Power Window Regulators & 6.5L Crankshaft Bearing Selection

More Power
08-27-2012, 15:41
Regulating the Regulators
1999-2007 Power Window Regulator Service

I was buzzing the driver's side window down a short while ago in my 2001 GMC 2500HD, and I heard a gritty/grinding sound and noticed that the window wasn't moving normally. Hmmm... So, I moved the window button in the opposite direction. It was then that I heard a pop, like a pea sized chunk of gravel pinging off the windshield at highway speed. The window stopped moving, then began a slow slide downward. The window had become disconnected from the mechanism that moves the window up/down. This mechanism is called the window "regulator". Not a good start to the day. Go here to see an illustrated guide to replacing the power window regulator.

Measuring & Fitting 6.5L Diesel Main & Rod Bearings
Getting the Proper Fit

Crankshaft bearing selection is vital to produce the correct running clearances for the crankshaft's main and rod bearings. When correctly assembled, there are always a few thousandths of an inch clearance in rod and main bearings. This clearance provides room for an oil film to act as the actual bearing. This series of related articles discussing the assembly of a newly machined 6.5 block hit the highlights of an engine assembly so you can better judge for yourself whether you're equipped for such an endeavor. The photos and information contained in this series also provides essential information for which you can judge the knowledge possessed by your chosen engine rebuild shop.

Now available to subscribers in the Member's Area (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm#features).