PDA

View Full Version : Emergency KC to PA trip, long).

eracers999
09-25-2005, 21:11
I get the call that says basicly her 2000 gtp pontiac has a transmission down and it is going to be 3 grand to fix it. Bong..... NOT.... She is out in Pitsburgh Pa, im in Kansas City, hmm decisions. Understand that i am under intence pressure with a business and a job. I decided to bail on everything and go get the car and bring her another one. At 3:00 pm on fri i was loaded to go, 140 gal diesel, tools, lots of vip things in the bed and car and trailer, i did'nt weigh but i know i was at least 15k, fair load.
When i left my attitude was to (get it done, dont care what the fuel bill is, and with a good part of the day ****ed away i was already behind in my way of thinking.
I already know what some of you will say under your breath when you read this. Did'nt care about fuel mi or if i hurt the 6.5 it was going to run the run or blow up getting it done. I left Cameron MO and made it well into St louis in 3 hr's and 28 min, that's pushin a hard head wind out of the east. 927 miles and was in pittsburgh at my destination at 3:10 am, saturday, central time, got a motel, slept 4 hrs, swapped cars on the trailer, ate lunch, and put the 6.5 thru it's pace's, pushed it hard. Sat nite at 11:00 pm i was on the other side of St louie so bugged out i couldent see straight, i laid down in the truck for 30 min, got back with it and made it home at 2:30 am on Sunday morning.
The whole trip was flawless, the engine pulled excellent, so much so that i found myself thinking that this next pull would slow it down and found myself having to let out of it because i was gaining speed, on most all of them except the 5% grade in Pa that i held at just over 65 comming on to the freeway. It would have really helped on that pull to have had a torq converter lockup switch. 75.98 mph average speed i would give the hat's off to the 6.5 for a job well done. Thank god im back already, absolutly hated the run thru St louis comming back. Did'nt really pay to much attention to the guages, to busy looking down the road, but when i thought i needed to look all was good.

Kent

markrinker
09-26-2005, 03:40
Sounds like all your modifications and hard work paid off when you needed it. Congrats!!! Any idea what kind of mileage you got for the whole trip?

eracers999
09-26-2005, 13:07
Mark, I figured 11.7 mpg going out, and right around 15.1 comming back. The big diff was the wind. Comming back i had this wierd side push wind, not quite a tail wind. Found myself in the left lane a lot to keep the truck angled from the wind. Being lawless is now a hard habit to break. Got to get slowed back down. Yeah, if this motor hangs together, it is everything i could want. Im not afraid of it anymore and i offer it my respect. It has over 30k on it now, so far, so very good. The truck has 252k on it now, my goal is to get to 400k and get me a d max. These are really awsome trucks as i would compare the integrity of the cab and chassis to a truck with 80k on it.

Best to ya / Kent

HammerWerf
09-28-2005, 06:15
Kent,

Seems to me that a great country song could be written about that trip, and C.W.McCall should record it.

HammerWerf

eracers999
09-29-2005, 04:43
That's a pretty good chuckle.