PDA

View Full Version : Black smoke?

vsandme
09-01-2012, 10:19
So ive read tons of stuff on the 6.5 smoking, possible causes, exhaust leaks, turbo problems, boost problems.....ive noticed mines been smoking pretty heavy on hard accelleration, when it cruises at a set speed (any speed) no smoke. And it clears up a little once its in motion but still accellerating... the part that gets me is it sputters a little if i hit the pedal hard whilst dumping the smoke.... is there any way to test the turbo without a boost guage? vac pump is brand new and i cant seem to find the problem

a5150nut
09-01-2012, 14:53
For a cheap boost guage, one of those vacuum/boost guages for a temp guage.

Have you checked vacuum at the turbo ind of line? Cleaned electrical connections at the boost regulator on the left valve cover?

vsandme
09-02-2012, 14:03
could a dirty airfilter cause turbo lag maybe? i checked for pre turbo exhaust leaks, nothing there. It has a 3" straight pipe which should be plenty of flow for the turbo. vac pump is good, turbo recently had new bearings put in. with a higher flow cone intake and straight pipe i feel i should hear the turbo, I know they are loud whistlers but no noise at all...could this be a sign?

sctrailrider
09-02-2012, 16:51
yes it could.... you should check the vac hose going to the turbo and make sure it isn't cracked or broken.. just because you have a good vac pump doesn't mean the lines aren't broken, and you can't really depend on the sound of the turbo, a gauge will be much a better tool to use. Have you changed fuel filters lately ???

vsandme
09-06-2012, 08:34
I got a new fuel filter to install this week when i have time and i replaced the airfilter.

Is there a how too on a boost guage anywhere? Obviously I want to do this on a budget :/

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 10:28
Generally, the preferred spot for a sensor is in the manifold, just below the turbo. If you search for "boost gauge" (or similar) you'll get a TON of reading material that will help you. Select "6.5 forum" for better results with the search.

Does your intake have a black, plastic tube that connects into the intake rubber? If so, you really won't hear much whistle with that in there. Remove it and plug the hole.

vsandme
09-06-2012, 10:45
thats an oil catch can that the tube connects too correct? Im able to delete that?

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 10:52
Yes, you can delete it. But, no, it's not an oil catch can. It's only job is to quiet the sound of the turbo. Think of it as a turbo muffler.

vsandme
09-06-2012, 10:54
That can is pluged into the valve cover at the other end

Also, the are that controls boost from the vaccum, when i move it back and forth while the truck is off it makes a hissing sound, and when the truck is idleing it remains pulled back towards the rear of the truck, if i pulle it forward it stays there, if i push it back it stays there, is this normal for the vaccum operated wastegate?

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 10:57
You really shouldn't be able to move the wastegate arm when the engine is running. If so, you likely have either have a bad vac pump or a leaking vac line. Trace the line backwards and look/listen/feel for cracks in the line.

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 11:00
That can is pluged into the valve cover at the other end

The tube I'm talking about will run left to right near the fan shroud. Can you post a picture? Maybe we're talking 2 different things.

vsandme
09-06-2012, 11:08
when i plug the intake from that tube on the intake, what should i do with the end coming out of the valve cover?

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 11:46
Oh, wait, I figured out what you are talking about - that's not up by the fan shroud. You're referring to a "tuna-can" looking thing on the intake? Don't plug that - leave it alone. That recycles oil vapor back into the engine.

Anything by the fan shroud?

vsandme
09-06-2012, 12:16
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/Vsandme/65.jpg

theres a snap :)

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 12:26
Ok, you have an aftermarket set-up, not stock.

That's a pretty small filter. Do you have a bigger one?

But, check the vac line - that would be a good start and likely culprit to the smoke problem (and lack of whistle).

vsandme
09-06-2012, 12:28
thanks for all the help, I checked the vac lines and cant seem to find any leaks, i pulled the line near the driverside where the sensor is and stuck my finger too it, it wad very light suction, i may have to make a turbo master to solve this problem, vac pump is brand new and id like to avoid it

vsandme
09-06-2012, 12:35
ALSO, just thought of this, when i bought the truck the vac pump was very noisy, owner said i needed to replace it so he gave me a brand new one bought that day, when i replaced it, thats when the sputtering and excessive black smoke occured

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 13:22
ALSO, just thought of this, when i bought the truck the vac pump was very noisy, owner said i needed to replace it so he gave me a brand new one bought that day, when i replaced it, thats when the sputtering and excessive black smoke occured

I think you just your answered your own question. Sounds like that "new" vac pump is less than stellar.

For what it's worth, I like the vac setup as the computer can control the finer aspects of the engine better than a spring can.

vsandme
09-06-2012, 15:33
HAHA i think i found it....the vaccum line goes from the pump to the plug with 2 wires, then to the turbo, one of the wires is broke. problem solved?

DennisG01
09-06-2012, 16:50
HAHA i think i found it....the vaccum line goes from the pump to the plug with 2 wires, then to the turbo, one of the wires is broke. problem solved?

Electrical wire? Hmmm. I surprised it didn't set a code - but then, I don't know much about the OBDI computer.

Either way, splice it together and see what happens!

Good luck - let's hope this is it and you luck out with an easy fix!

vsandme
09-11-2012, 05:08
GAHHH, fixed the wire to find that no power was coming through the wire, it would be impossible to follow that wire all the way. I jumped the vaccum line together to make sure the pump and lines were all good, the waste gate arm worked then, i also hot wired the solenoid and it was good so it just lack of power from the computer i guess

so my last choice is turbo master and a boost guage,

can i remove the sensor on the intake manifold (im assuming the one that controls the wastegate solenoid) and thread my plug for the boost guage there?

and is there a DIY turbo master on this site anywhere?

DennisG01
09-11-2012, 08:21
How are all the grounds and battery cables (pos and neg) coming along? All clean and tight?

I don't know about OBDI, but I would assume that if you remove the sensor, you would get a code and maybe a defuel.

One of the advertisers here (pmdcable) has a product called a "boost bolt" and it replaces one of the center bolts on the intake cap. Check it out.

vsandme
09-11-2012, 08:54
I unplugged the sensor and no ses light also.it wont hurt the seal to remove a manifold.stud.for the boost guage?

vsandme
09-11-2012, 13:46
Hopefully my bass ackwards form of ditecting this problem will help others not doing it the way I did lol, with maximum stress. Aparently, when I purchased the truck 2 months ago, it wasnt boosting... I replaced the vac pump which was in need, it was loud and shot. Never had drove a 6.5 TD before the lack of power over my previous 99suburban with a 350 I figured was normal.

To cut to the chase, the wire was broke, fixed it and as I prepared to install a boost guage, i discovered the fuse panel while routing the house....the spot that said "sol" was empty....replaced the fuse a viola....it feels like a diesel should now.

And thanks again to those helping me with this. Its been a learning experience.