PDA

View Full Version : FSD lasted only a week?

andro70
09-26-2005, 04:58
My FSD started acting up a few weeks ago (after 50K miles)so I bought a new one. I installed the new FSD just as I had my old one (against the firewall). My truck ran great for about a week then the new FSD started acting up on a recent 150 mile trip and ultimately died. I plugged my old FSD back in and was able to get home with a few stalls. I called the company I purchased the new FSD from and they told me there is no warranty whatsoever on FSD's from Stanadyne. The company rep also mentioned that my problem might be a result of me not installing a resistor between the wiring harness and the FSD. Any thoughts on the warranty issue and / or the resistor?

Hubert
09-26-2005, 05:08
I thought the inline resistor was for "fuel calibration". Which I understand will change the signal to the driver so that it will add or reduce fuel depending on resistance. I would not think that would harm the FSD if you had one resistor, other or none????????

I have heard things like the dealers will replace part of wiring harness with new PMD to ensure good wiring contact.

BobND
09-26-2005, 06:03
Originally posted by BobND:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by andro70:
My FSD started acting up a few weeks ago (after 50K miles)so I bought a new one. I installed the new FSD just as I had my old one (against the firewall). My truck ran great for about a week then the new FSD started acting up on a recent 150 mile trip and ultimately died. I plugged my old FSD back in and was able to get home with a few stalls. I called the company I purchased the new FSD from and they told me there is no warranty whatsoever on FSD's from Stanadyne. The company rep also mentioned that my problem might be a result of me not installing a resistor between the wiring harness and the FSD. Any thoughts on the warranty issue and / or the resistor? </font>[/QUOTE]OOOOPPPPSSS! My previous post did not work well!

So... did you remove the calibration reistor from the old FSD, and transfer it to the new FSD, or did did the new FSD come with a "generic value" resistor installed (by the seller), or do you actually have no calibration resistor installed at all?

I thought I had previously read somewhere the system would not work without a resistor installed?

Also, after so many starts with the new calibration resistor (or lack thereof) the ECM sets a new fuel rate based on the resistor value.

Is it possible you reached that number of starts and then it shut down, because of the lack of a resistor?

If none of the above applies, and the "new" FSD HAS a resistor installed, I would tighten the 4 nuts inside the "pockets" on the back that mount the driver transistors, and try the "new" FSD again.

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2005, 06:04
The calibration resistor has no effect on the performance of (or the lack of) the PMD/FSD. If you omit the resistor, it may make the PCM unhappy and set a code, triggering the SES, but will not effect the operation of the FSD.

Stanadyne does warrant the PMD. 12 months I think. In any case, certainly longer than a week. Whoever sold you that PMD may not be an authorized Stanadyne reseller, and can't communicate directly with Stanadyne, or doesn't want to. Find a Stanadyne authorized dealer/distributor. The PMD will be date coded, and you should be able to get a replacement based on that. You should at least have a sales receipt, and they may accept that, as long as it is from a reputable (read-legal) reseller.

andro70
09-26-2005, 07:42
What does the resistor look like and where exactly is it located? I went to the dealer and they have no idea what resistor I am talking about.

kevin77
09-26-2005, 07:53
The resistor is on a small pcb board that is inside the connector on the FSD. - it is about 3/4" of inch long, 1/16 of an inch thick and maybe 1/4" inch tall.

Kevin

andro70
09-26-2005, 08:01
Thanks everyone for the info. FYI, I spoke with another Stanadyne parts dealer who told me there is only a warranty on the PMD when it comes from the factory installed on a new pump. The same dealer told me that when the PMD / FSD is installed without the resistor it will cause numerous problems the worst of which can be the destruction of the new FSD.

Barry Nave
09-26-2005, 09:35
SOL-D still running strong on the intake mounted style. Had to add my 2c tongue.gif

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2005, 10:43
Originally posted by andro70:
Thanks everyone for the info. FYI, I spoke with another Stanadyne parts dealer who told me there is only a warranty on the PMD when it comes from the factory installed on a new pump. The same dealer told me that when the PMD / FSD is installed without the resistor it will cause numerous problems the worst of which can be the destruction of the new FSD. That dealer obviously doesn't know much about his product. When the PCM doesn't get a satisfactory resistor reading, it will set to a default fuel rate (conservative), and command a DTC. The resistor is only used for a calibration standard, and only on an occasional basis. It only gives the PCM a max fuel volume envelope value, then lays dormant until it is checked again, numerous warm up cycles down the road, or when the PCM looses that value. I don't see how it would be possible to damage the PMD. The PMD is only an amplifier of the signal that triggers the fuel delivery servo in the pump.

He may be correct about the warranty, but Stanadyne sells PMDs separate from the pump. They must warranty the part in some manner. Try contacting Stanadyne directly. They do answer their email.

What year and miles on your truck? When was the last GM warrantied pump? You may still get GM to foot the bill for a replacement. Many dealers are actually sympathetic to this issue.

Kennedy
09-26-2005, 13:53
My FSD started acting up a few weeks ago (after 50K miles)so I bought a new one. I installed the new FSD just as I had my old one (against the firewall). My truck ran great for about a week then the new FSD started acting up on a recent 150 mile trip and ultimately died. I plugged my old FSD back in and was able to get home with a few stalls. I called the company I purchased the new FSD from and they told me there is no warranty whatsoever on FSD's from Stanadyne. The company rep also mentioned that my problem might be a result of me not installing a resistor between the wiring harness and the FSD. Any thoughts on the warranty issue and / or the resistor? So what did you mount it to, the tin? Not gonna last long like that.

There is a warranty on Stanadyne electrical parts, but the term is irrelevant. Every Stanadyne shop that I've dealt with has told me they have had ZERO success in getting Stanadyne to cover warranty...

IMHO, the original FSD cooler is still the best solution, giving credit where due to Christer Lindstrom for developing it, and adding the latest generation transfer pad. Experience has shown me that the intake mounting location is not the best and that a total relocation to a cooler place is best. From there, it can sometimes be a crap shoot with some drivers lasting a long time and others being short lived. I sometimes wonder if we took 100 units and had them climate controled to room temp if they'd still fail at random intervals, and some prematurely...

ejk2352
09-26-2005, 15:54
My FSD started acting up a few weeks ago (after 50K miles)so I bought a new one. I installed the new FSD just as I had my old one (against the firewall). My truck ran great for about a week then the new FSD started acting up on a recent 150 mile trip and ultimately died. I plugged my old FSD back in and was able to get home with a few stalls. I called the company I purchased the new FSD from and they told me there is no warranty whatsoever on FSD's from Stanadyne. The company rep also mentioned that my problem might be a result of me not installing a resistor between the wiring harness and the FSD. Any thoughts on the warranty issue and / or the resistor? You should consider Bill Heath's FSD for your next replacement. He offers a 7 year replacement warranty. To me this seems to be a no brainer, as I have yet to see anyone come close in warranty coverage. I have had 2 trouble free years of service from Bill's remote mounted FSD. He also includes a longer harness and the calibration resistor.

Chuck1
09-27-2005, 20:22
My fsd has been great sence the front mount.But now I,m looking to mount a intercooler in the same spot .I think I,m looking for a new spot for the fsd I wounder where?

Marty Lau
09-28-2005, 06:33
Originally posted by Chuck1:
My fsd has been great sence the front mount.But now I,m looking to mount a intercooler in the same spot .I think I,m looking for a new spot for the fsd I wounder where? I mounted mine on top of the frame crossmember that hold the tranny up. About under the drivers seat area. I have had it there for 40,000 miles so far and no problems so far. :D

Marty Lau
09-28-2005, 07:14
Originally posted by kennedy:
[]IMHO, the original FSD cooler is still the best solution, giving credit where due to Christer Lindstrom for developing it, and adding the latest generation transfer pad. Experience has shown me that the intake mounting location is not the best and that a total relocation to a cooler place is best. From there, it can sometimes be a crap shoot with some drivers lasting a long time and others being short lived. I sometimes wonder if we took 100 units and had them climate controled to room temp if they'd still fail at random intervals, and some prematurely... [/QUOTE]

John;
1. I will give credit to Lindstrom for the intial development of the FDS cooler. However he has not been willing to admit like you that the intake mount is a flawed installation. Lindstrom has NO CREDIBILITY with me as when I tried to discuss this fact with him he threw a fit and left this forum. Now where has Beta been with refining his product?

2. John if "IMHO, the original FSD cooler is still the best solution"
If you truly feel this way then why don't you put YOUR money were your mouth is? Why don't you put a replacement warranty on your suggested installation? John, don't get me wrong I think highly of you and many of your products. I have bought items from you and may do again in the future. I think you have a lot of tech savey and provide us 6.5 owner much help over the years. I again tho challenge you to "step up to the plate" on this FSD cooler issue and back your words with action.
My opinion and expierence is the same as ekj 2352's and others on this.

ekj 2352 said:
"You should consider Bill Heath's FSD for your next replacement. He offers a 7 year replacement warranty. To me this seems to be a no brainer, as I have yet to see anyone come close in warranty coverage. I have had 2 trouble free years of service from Bill's remote mounted FSD. He also includes a longer harness and the calibration resistor"

John you asking $510 for "Deluxe FSD cooling Package" No warranty.
Bill is asking $469 for his Issolator kit with warranty.

Again John how about putting your money were you mouth is on this issue!
I have a Orginal Beta cooler in my shop with a dead FSD driver on it after 30,000 miles. The $450 I paid for that set up I have chalked up to educational costs. This has not been the most expensive lessons I have learned in my life but it was costly enough. As a smart consumer I voted for the Heath Issolator and I hope to help people learn fom what I have spent. $500 is fair amount of money for some of us to put up for the FSD "crap shoot". :(

PS anyone want to buy a low mile ORGINAL BETA cooler comlete with a #9 resitor and dead FSD driver?

[ 09-29-2005, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: 16ga SxS ]

rjschoolcraft
09-28-2005, 08:05
In my mind, Heath is insane for providing warranty coverage on a component that he has no control over. He's been lucky so far, but it will probably bankrupt him in the end. Getting the heat out is only part of the problem. Stanadyne quality is another part. Loose screws (from factory) and other quality issues have all been documented. Whose isolator or cooler will take care of that?

Kennedy
09-28-2005, 09:18
Originally posted by kennedy:
I sometimes wonder if we took 100 units and had them climate controled to room temp if they'd still fail at random intervals, and some prematurely... [/QB]

Barry Nave
09-29-2005, 02:20
I've been where 16ga 6x6 has gone with the Beta though I had it on the intake so I'm not fair game for the driver. Beta cooler is a good product,compact to mount about anywhere.
As JK had said,I to wonder what if. Some last and some just won't, though 30k and around that area seems to be the norm. for myself on intake.
At this time the FSD issue was changed out only because I was chasing a code 35. Other than that the truck still ran fine.
I like new products and am willing to try something different. SOL-D solved the 35 and a new driver may have done the same?
First SOL-D was bad and the cooler mounted got me going again with the code 35 coming back.
I'll just keep testing the SOL-D,mounted on intake and let time take it's course.
I have 4 more years to see ;)
Just as long as Chris hangs in there.