PDA

View Full Version : Engine Identification Question

dsnyder
09-06-2012, 13:45
Here are some pictures of the New(barely used) engine I bought. What engine number should I look for to make sure it will fit in my 1994 Turbo Diesel Suburban. I plan on only using the longblock and transferring all of my hardware (turbo, alternator, electronic pump etc...). The seller says it is a new motor that has not really even been broken it... it is a failed project that they never got on the road. Any hints on verifying the newness of the motor?

He says it is a crate motor he bought from GM about 2 years ago... the label says GM- Goodwrench Crate etc... and the mechanic says he remembers specifically unwrapping the motor in plastic...

I found these numbers on the block-

D217 -The 7 could indicate 1997 or 2007... how can I tell which?

sctrailrider
09-07-2012, 04:58
It will fit no matter what the numbers are, just move all the accessories from one to the other , everything will bolt right up....

The numbers you are looking for are in 2 places, 1- in the form of dots in the valley under the intake, 2 - cast in the rear of block below the head..

Robyn
09-07-2012, 16:20
X2
just as mentioned, move the accessories

Make sure the to use the bell housing bolts that are with the new engine.
96 and later use metric and before that they are 3/8 NC

Everything else is same same

Missy

Liftgate
09-19-2012, 16:07
It will fit no matter what the numbers are, just move all the accessories from one to the other , everything will bolt right up....

The numbers you are looking for are in 2 places, 1- in the form of dots in the valley under the intake, 2 - cast in the rear of block below the head..

What "form of dots" are you refering to? I have seen those on mine. Is there a "code" for them? Thanks.

trbankii
09-19-2012, 16:51
The numbers are made up of a series of dots. Not a great picture, but here is one of a 599 block.