PDA

View Full Version : Shackle rusted through

Ponderosa JT
09-11-2012, 10:38
Driving down the road the other day and I heard a bang, like I hit a pot hole (without a pot hole). Thought maybe my tailgate dropped if not latched. When I stopped, the tailgate was shut, but the bed of my truck was twisted down on the driver side. The leaf spring was up against the underside of the box. Drove home and now looking to repair the damage. I have heard this happens more to Ford's than GM. I guess Illinois puts too much salt on the roads. Anyone else have issues with the shackles? I know my truck is 11 years old, but no rust on the body. The frame and underneath is a different matter. I purchased the shackle. Any tips on the repair? Looks like the receiver hitch needs to be lowered or removed to access the bolt on the hanger. Soaked everything with PB blaster. The bolt don't look like they want to come out of the bushing. Impact? Air Hammer?. I don't want to damage the leaf spring eyelet bushing so a torch isn't an option.

Thanks
Jeff

Kennedy
09-11-2012, 11:58
If it's bad enough to rot out the shackle it will most certainly be gas axe time. I'd suggest you consider driving in the spring rains and puddles more and run through car wash with flush as much as possible in sloppy weather. I've seen my share of frame and body rust, but the HD's aren't old enough to be there yet.

Ponderosa JT
09-12-2012, 05:39
Update; I ended up using the sawzall to cut the bottom bolt out of the hanger. Eyelet bolt on the leaf spring was a little tricky. I dropped the spare tire, and using a long extension on my impact, I got on the bolt in the gap between the frame and box. Hammered on it for about 10 minutes and finally it started to spin. Used a 3lb persuader it tapped out. As always, there is no substitute for soaking the bolts with PB Blaster over night. The frame and hanger look solid (just surface rust), so I think the shackle had a problem. Right side shackle still looks good.

Jeff

Edahall
09-12-2012, 06:41
You might consider treating all rust spots with some stuff called POR-15 on a yearly interval. It'll soak into anything with rust, encapsulated it and greatly slow down spreading of the cancer. This is one of my tricks to preserving a vehicle so I can drive it forever.