PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake cable

chessy56
09-12-2012, 17:41
I have a 2001 2500 HD, 4 door extended cab with 8' box and 2" body rise. I'm looking for the proper intermediate cable for the parking brake. I am seeing a number of cables which supposedly are for my truck. The problem is many of these will fit a 133" wheelbase vehicle. My truck has a 157" wheelbase. NAPA states they have a cable which will work, but it's 60" long. I measured my intermediate cable at 45" tip-to-tip or, 50" total with the steel connectors included. GMpartsdirect.com does not list a length, but I've emailed them and hope to get an answer.

Anyone with a similar truck know which intermediate cable is the correct one? And how do you connect/install these cables? (Do you need to connect all the cables first, before connecting them to the individual levers at each wheel? Any special tools required?)

More Power
11-26-2012, 14:26
When in doubt, concerning which parts fit your particular truck, I recommend visiting your local dealer's parts counter. They will ask for your VIN, which will be used for a parts search, and the correct cable will be shown on their computer.

The parking brake shoes inside the mini drums are spring loaded, this allow you to pull the cable out far enough to make the final connection somewhere in the middle of the cable length (under the driver's side of the cab - along the frame rail). I've used Vise-Grips with a layer of heavy plastic to protect the cable, while pulling on it.

Once that's done, you may need to adjust the shoe engagement adjuster to produce the expected action when the e-brake pedal is pushed inside the cab. Jim