PDA

View Full Version : K & N intake for LBZ ?

Bravo Whiskey 21
09-26-2012, 07:37
Some folks are trying to talk me into the K&N setup to help out with MPG.
Any thoughts or comments would be great to hear.
TIA,
BW21

Kennedy
09-26-2012, 10:21
Leave the intake stock including the filter and housing. The best bang for the buck in MPG and performance comes from the ECM. I have access to literally everything on the market. The only thing done to my 2007 LBZ is my Kennedy Custom ECM programming.

spongebob
10-01-2012, 19:15
k&n are all hype..

jbplock
10-03-2012, 02:27
Here's a report from a test done a few years ago on various early model rectangular type Duramax air filters. The K&N didn't do so well in this test.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

D_R_C
10-06-2012, 10:28
K&N airfilters is only a 4 layer media, they have been known to come apart and suck thru the turbo. "Not good"
On the LMM and newer they could cause the PO101 code because to much airflow goes thru the thin media even when new.
The DIY stock airbox mod (not the PPE one) works pretty good, I have a link to it but its from another forum.
I'm not sure if the stock airbox on the 06 is similar to the LMM.
Cost, is about 2 hrs of your time using your stock airfilter or a good quality aftermarket OEM.
If your interested I can PM it to you.

Mark Rinker
10-11-2012, 07:27
JUST SAY NO.

The OEM filter rocks from '06 - newer.

Keep and eye on them after towing heavy in snow or rain however, as they can separate under extreme use and suck unfiltered air.

Bravo Whiskey 21
11-13-2012, 18:42
I have been busy with Hurricane issues and have not had time to respond, but thanks to you all.
I want to add that I am sometimes pig headed so I went and picked up the K & N replacement filter only and installed it. I noticed that the truck felt a little different. 1st tank and my fuel mileage dropped off:eek: I gave it 4 full tanks and tracked it with hand calc, not the DIC. I went from 14.5/15.5 down to 12.5/13.5. Put back in the old factory unit and I am right back where I started. The factory is about a year old with 20K +/_ , it still looks clean so I am leaving it in till spring.
K & N is giving me a full refund so I am only out the MPG's for the 4 tanks.
Sometimes I just have to learn the hard way
Thanks again for the accurate info!

Mark Rinker
11-14-2012, 15:04
You got off cheap, but kudos for doing the math and realizing the error.

Good luck with the cleanup.

DickWells
11-18-2012, 07:15
Gee, Bill, Mark, and others. Never saw that report before, and it's an eye-opener. Don't know how I missed it, but sure makes me miss that $300 ~ I spent on an S&B for my 04 Sierra (and the money I spent, years before on a K&N for my 95 Suburban 6.5). I've read a thing from Mark on the re-usable filters being slow death for a diesel, and this test data really shows the reason.

Any reason that I should feel better because mine is an S&B?

Sure didn't feel too good, back in 06, when the lousy, too short, rubber hose from the air-box to the new S&B intake neck had slipped off and let me suck air on by, post filter! I replaced that short piece at my own expence, and can't remember if I ever sent a nasty letter to S&B. ??

Years before, I got nervous about the K&N in my Burb, wrote to them about it, and got a nice, long letter back, and, more or less put the issue out of mind, but this latest thread has brought it back to haunt me. And others, it seems.

Anyway, thanks. This puts it right out there in black and white. Learn something new every day.