PDA

View Full Version : banks manifold questions

turbonator
09-28-2012, 00:46
has anyone ever used an OBS banks exhaust manifold in a GMT-400 chassis? i am wondering if there are certain fitment issues... thanks:)

Robyn
09-28-2012, 07:51
The manifold should fit ok

The turbo will sit slightly farther forward though.
I have had a Banks OBS manifold on with a serp drive, and the vac pump will have to go. You can REMOVE the vacuum pod and keep the idler pulley.

Use a turbo master to take care of the waste gate duty.

My worries would be getting the Xover snaked up and around on the GMT 400 chassis using the Banks pipe.

Some creative plumbing may be in order

Missy

More Power
09-28-2012, 11:04
has anyone ever used an OBS banks exhaust manifold in a GMT-400 chassis? i am wondering if there are certain fitment issues... thanks:)

Personally, I'd get a factory 6.5 exhaust manifold. They are easy to find and are inexpensive, and fit the GMT-400 perfectly. Your Banks Sidewinder 6.2L manifold is likely worth more. Jim

turbonator
09-29-2012, 06:18
Personally, I'd get a factory 6.5 exhaust manifold. They are easy to find and are inexpensive, and fit the GMT-400 perfectly. Your Banks Sidewinder 6.2L manifold is likely worth more. Jim
the reason for wanting to use the OBS banks is for easier servicing of injectors because we burn WMO and it is a every 2-3 month service issue to R&R the injectors, clean them, and reinstall... with the OEM manifold it is remove the turbo and all piping, a job to change the injectors takes 5-6 hrs. with the banks one i am sure it cuts the time in half...

my thinking with the 2 banks style manifolds is that the second style is upswept, to fit the gmt400, while the older version is down swept to fit the square body trucks
http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/tech/chevy/8531479+w193/0554_dp_62_33_z.jpg

the older version...http://www.oliverdiesel.com/images/6.2TD/banksturbo/banksmanifoldvsoldgm.JPG
i think that the turbo flange and crossover inlet will contact the frame on the gmt400.... later i will go out and measure from the second exhaust port on the manifold down to the frame in the gmt 400 to see what kind of space is there, could somebody here do the same with a square body please...:o