PDA

View Full Version : Summer is coming(I know not yet), Question about ECM and Intercooler or mist for 97up

computer monkey
02-03-2004, 21:14
Ok, in a couple of weeks I will have my Suburban back and running. As you see from the description below it has a cracked number eight cylinder. GM is going to warranty it for me with a new turbo and long block (I think, what ever the $7800 engine you can buy from them, I just hope it is the new International block and heads).

My questions are, one: How is the new Bill Heath Max-E-Torque reflash program working out for people compared as before with the stock program. Do you think it adds the HP and torque they claim? That is a lot of power for just reprogramming.

Second: I would like to hear from people that has one or both air-air intercooler and mist injection, is there anyone that has tried them both.

I am thinking of mist injection for my self. But I pull a heavy trailer and on flat hi-way my boost is in the 8 to 10psi and EGT's in the 1000 degrees pre turbo(taken at the collector on the driver's side manifold) In this situation the intercool my seem better. But on the hills I would think the mist would be better, or maybe both?

rjschoolcraft
02-04-2004, 03:58
This has all been hashed over several times. Do a search and read everything that has already been said. I believe in intercooling for heavy towing. Just read my post "Significant improvement in towing performance!" (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005059) to see the dramatic change in my Suburban.

computer monkey
02-04-2004, 05:23
Yes, but nothing is say about having both in that topic, or about the heath program.

Turbine Doc
02-04-2004, 06:26
CM (Some of this text is for the general population I think from your question you are already gaged).

I just got my Heath reflash up and running so far my results are positive; seat of pants test no real difference between it and the HD GM 99+ program; but that is with an empty truck. Over a stock 97/98 program I dare say there will be a significant SOP difference. With the Heath RF I'm told that where the extra grunt appears is during towing, from what I've monitored on my scanner that looks to be a true statement.

The 99+ GM program does give extra performance over my 98 stock but it is very conservative, it allows for 76mm of fuel delivery at initial load request but quickly scales back boost and fuel to about a 50-54mm delivery schedule truck empty, towing or race/dyno demand TCC fully locked up 63-68mm for initial load then backs off. 5-7 psi boost with a boost control.

Remember a stock truck won't be gauged, have boost control, or IC's so GM could not afford to be too agressive and have the trucks last.

The Heath reflash also delivers up to 76mm I think I even saw a bump to 77mm, but when loaded it only set fuel back to 63mm sustained avg which btw is the max delivery for the stock 98 program. Boost comes up in a smoother transition also over GM stock. 7-15 psi boost with boost control.

(Don't try this at home with out gauges or intake air cooing of choice) Check with Heath to see if he recommends levels above 7-10 psi boost with out cooling. And most will agree here, no mods that effect fuel/boost delivery without gauges period.

Bill says that there have been 22 points "tweaked" IIRC for better curves ({Correction from my original post}his is not a 22 pt tweak, others do that to the base GM curves which aren't optimal for towing, his program is complete remap of the curves encompassing about 1100 points, sorry for any confusion), I tried a Z reflash re-sold by many vendors and was not happy with that one for the money, it did add umph but GM HD program was not much different from that one. I've not yet done a dyno or tow yet with this reflash.

Are you on a budget, if so, I'd say get a junkyard 99+ PCM ($125-$175) and run it for a while, then use that as the core for the reflash turn in when you are ready and then your stock PCM will be available as a spare or reconfig if you have to go in for a warranty call. (Sorry guys 99+ PCM won't work in a non theft deterrent truck needs to be 97+) maybe dealer can reprogram yours to 99+ curve, I don't know if it's possible but a thought.

Bill asked if I was in a hurry or could I wait a while, I'm greedy/hungry for more power needed it now :D ; he is middle of beta testing of a new plug in module with Max E program for OBD II trucks, no reflash required.

As for IC & WMI I have IC, but no experience with WMI from what I read both work, my opinion is using both is maybe overkill for most, maybe some added benefit if you are doing some serious towing in dry climate WMI would add density to the air charge over IC alone.

I don't know if there is a real advantage of WMI vs IC, cost is a + for some WMI is cheaper than IC, IC also requires about 10mph cross flow to start working, under bumper mount also seen as a risk (minimal-the one I have is pretty stout) if you are a hard core off roader non lifted truck, add a lift kit and big tires then the IC is less at risk.

For a mainly on road towing truck with occasional 4x4 use I prefer the IC, once installed the IC is a drive & forget set up, check clamps during normal under hood checks is really only maint. required with IC.

I'm still in my testing but initial result is favorable, I'd recommend the Heath RF at this point BTW excellenct customer service with Heath.

That's my .02 FWIW maybe a litte more than .02 ;)

[ 02-04-2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]