PDA

View Full Version : unpleasant experience today

Jim P
09-05-2003, 14:47
Today I left work to get lunch when I noticed my truck had a little vibration. It wasn't too bad until I was on my way back to work. Then it started getting worse. I was only about 1/2 mile from work so I was just taking it easy going about 35 mph. I had all these things running through my mind that could be the problem. I was just thinking, I hope my crank didn't break again when all of sudden all hell broke loose. Something under the truck was making all kinds of noise. I stopped right on the road and crawled under the truck. Here 1 of the u-joint caps for the front drive shaft had come off and the driveshaft was flying around beating the bottom of my truck. The clamp that holds the u-joint cap to the yoke was still on and the bolts were not even loose. They had put a new transfercase in the truck just before I bought it so maybe they didn't have one of the snap rings on the u-joint cap.

I can't believe it but it didn't do any real damage. It was so close to the fuel lines and lift pump but it never touched them.

Another problem is that the front axle never disengages. I had to take the wire off the 4-wheel drive actuator to disengage the front axle so I could drive it home.

Jim P.