PDA

View Full Version : truck starts but then shuts down

Chuck1
05-02-2005, 16:24
I have a 94 6.5td it has been running well.But yesterday it shut down on the road.When trying to start it it fires up reves up like crazy and shuts down.Any help would be welcome. Could it have somthing to do with the accelerator pedal?

BobND
05-02-2005, 17:54
A new FSD on a remote heat sink cured EXACTLY the same problem with my '94.

Barry Nave
05-03-2005, 02:15
A agree with BobND.
Don't be afraid to go with the new SOL-D.
Once you have a FSD issue, now would be the time to try a new product. If you don't have a cooler then the cost of a cooler, FSD and a Ext. wire harness offsets the cost for a SOL-D. These SOL-D are working great as an replacement. :cool:

Chuck1
05-03-2005, 15:55
Where would i get a SOL-D .Also does it come with a wireing harness. I'm in CANADA

Barry Nave
05-04-2005, 01:30
SOL-D by RemarQ Techologies INC.
This is based in Toronto,ON,Canada.
Tel: 416 756 4890 Contact Chris
www.remarqtech.com (http://www.remarqtech.com)
Warranty 5 years unlimited mileage.
Wire harness plugs into pump mounted driver wire harness, just remove from pump and plug SOL-D in.
SOL-D mounts top side of intake.

JohnC
05-04-2005, 13:02
Chack for diagnostic codes before you spend any money. It could be the FSD, but doesn't have to be!

Barry Nave
05-05-2005, 01:54
JohnC got me thinking about my truck in the past.
Once noticed that I had no revlimit along with many codes that the one that keep coming back was the crank sensor. Truck wanted to rev on it's own but would not stall out. R&R the crank sensor. Not often does this part fail but can cause what you also may have. If the SES light does not come on or you have no code then I'd say FSD.

Chuck1
05-05-2005, 16:25
john how would i go about checking the codes i read somthing about a wire and counting the flashing lights . Which 2 spots do I short.Is it posible it could be the lift pump

Barry Nave
05-06-2005, 01:33
Go to the DP members area,scroll down to the bottom and you'll see how to pull codes and what each code stands for.

Chuck1
05-06-2005, 10:17
well I just checked and there are no codes coming up .I might have a line on a FSD I can borrow if I plug it in and it works great but if it dosn,t

Chuck1
05-06-2005, 15:46
great info guys I pluged it in and it fired right up.I just have to set up a heat sink I have a really good one. I was going to mount it on the fender but a friend told me not to extend the wires because it would change the resistance and help to cause a short life of theFSD. Any thougts on this.I can always mount it on the intake and with the large heatsink I have it should be all right.

Hubert
05-06-2005, 17:16
Chuck1

Don't worry about the long extention if its a quality one 40" or 72" inch ones are sold by Kennedy and Heath diesel. Guys who have really done lots with these trucks and if it didn't work or if it was bad they would not sell them!

How big is your heat sink? Dang it I have to rig up something too. I am planning about 120 something sq inches of fins heat sink from a stereo amplifier. I was advised to make sure the mounting surface is really flat so the FSD makes good contact and use quality heat sink contact "grease". Good luck and post back

Chuck1
05-06-2005, 20:33
hubert the heatsink is 10"x6"with fins that are4" long the base is 3/8" thick its from some telephone equipment .I wonder where I could get the female 6 point plug and mail plug

Hubert
05-07-2005, 14:31
You can try to look around but the female end is part of the pmd. There was a thread a while back and I looked around here, other websites, and the internet. Its not to be found. From what I read most make thier own from a junked pmd and or just cut and splice wires in. I will probably buy kennedy's. $90ish seems high at first but it looks like he had a female end custom made. He probably isn't making that much profit after all its said and done (depending on the quantities he sells/stocks) and it looks pretty good). I'd like to make my own too but I don't want to cut the wires on the truck if I don't have to. I believe if you buy the pmd from a Stanadyne dealer or the stealer you'll get part of a new wiring harness with the latest and greatest pmd.

Chuck1
05-08-2005, 06:38
Hubert I wonder If any one has found just the female plug end .Im going to go down to pick A part and look around and see if I can find one in a wreck . I think the problem is the plug may be made by standyne not GM.so there may never have been afemale plug made.