PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank depth: changing from 14" to 24"

BigRabbitMan
10-19-2012, 21:02
As part of my conversion project, the fuel tank is going from the stock 14" depth to 24" inches. That creates two issues: the first is fuel pickup. I assume that i will be able to extend the pickup line reasonably easy (suggestions as to how are welcome). The second is the fuel guage sender. Any suggestions?

DmaxMaverick
10-19-2012, 21:20
As you said, the pick-up is as simple as extending it. Keep it simple.

The gage sender is nearly that easy. Just extend the float an appropriate length, and adjust it for full travel, F to E, the same as it was originally (in relation to the sender travel, not the float travel). If your gage was linear (accurate) before, and you want it to be as accurate, you'll want to locate the the sender at about the same relative location in the fuel depth, which may require extending it from above, and below the sender. Again, keep it simple.

BigRabbitMan
10-20-2012, 22:14
I will be removing the fuel inlet/outlet system from the top of the existing tank shortly and will then be able to actually see what I am dealing with. I expect the return line should also be lengthened to reduce foaming caused by turbulence from the retuning fuel.

Thanks, Stephen H.

BigRabbitMan
10-21-2012, 21:18
Having just removed the fuel outlet/inlet/sender integrated unit from the tank, I now see what I am working with. First, i will need to change the two stainless steel (?) rods that hold the large pickup/return plastic casting that is at the bottom of the tank to longer ones so that the casting will remain at the bottom of the deeper tank.

Since it appears the sender unit is attached to the side of the large plastic housing, it may have to stay at that location. If I do nothing to the sender, it will then show full until the fuel is half way down and then it will show the fuel level decreasing over the bottom half of the tank. I can live with that if I don't come up with a means of increasing the range of the guage. I will look closer at it in a few days.

Thanks,