PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Timing question

DLang
10-25-2012, 15:27
I just replaced the 6.2 in a military blazer with another military surplus engine (water in the old engine), but the injector pump on the new engine was plugged up, so I swapped in the pump from the old engine.

One thing I've noticed is that when adjusting the timing, I've got the pump rotated towards the driver side about as far as it can go, the further over it goes the better the truck seems to be running.

I haven't yet pulled the cover off the front of the engine to check, but I'm wondering it it's possible that the timing gears are off by a tooth or something like that.

If they aren't, should I consider moving them off by a tooth or so to get the pump back closer to the center and give myself some room for adjustment?

David Lang

DmaxMaverick
10-25-2012, 18:09
DO NOT try to correct a timing problem by creating a timing problem. Don't move the valve timing away from correct.

The problem is much more likely you've incorrectly indexed the fuel lines, than have a timing jump. If the chain is so sloppy it can jump time, the engine wouldn't run, and/or you'd have valve collisions.

Cal6.2K5
11-10-2012, 20:59
Check the fuel return connector on top of the new pump lid you pulled off, I replaced my old 6.2 with a military surplus and the return connector was stopped up causing internal pressure inside the pump. The engine would not stay running because of that. I replaced the fuel return connector with the one off my old pump and started right up. May fix your problem.