PDA

View Full Version : Fall lube service

Mark Rinker
10-29-2012, 04:46
This week the truck goes in after 60K quick miles beginning March 15, 2012. Aside from five oil and fuel filter changes, three transmission 8qt drain and fills, and one rear diff service - not much else has been done this season.

Before the truck starts on winter snowplow duties, I'll change all fluids with the exception of battery acid and brake fluid. ;) That includes power steering fluid and coolant at 150K.

Front/Rear diff
Transfer Case
Transmission complete fluid exchange
Coolant
Power steering fluid
Oil/filter
Fuel filter

Anything else? Brake fluid will happen when brakes finally need service - still on the factory stuff!

On edit - I think I will 'rotate' the batteries from side to side, just to even out the uneven amount of heat stress they receive. Seems to extend the life of a pair by a year or so, keeping the firewall battery from failing first in summertime/turbo heat.

rapidoxidationman
10-29-2012, 06:43
All the grease zerks on the suspension, steering and drivelines?

More Power
10-29-2012, 13:31
I'm as guilty as anyone of not doing it, but it helps longevity of the front driveline U-joints to run a 4x4 truck in 4WD once in a while (straight line on a gravel road for a couple miles will be enough). Jim

Mark Rinker
10-30-2012, 18:49
I'm as guilty as anyone of not doing it, but it helps longevity of the front driveline U-joints to run a 4x4 truck in 4WD once in a while (straight line on a gravel road for a couple miles will be enough). Jim

Agreed! My truck gets a lot of 4HI in winter plowing months, but I recently experienced an extended session getting it to shift into 4LO.

Don't forget to use that once in awhile as well!

Mark Rinker
10-30-2012, 18:50
All the grease zerks on the suspension, steering and drivelines?

Yep Yep thx for the reminder. I always ASSUME that they do this, but will be sure to ask tomorrow.

Cost estimate $845 for everything listed.

Mark Rinker
11-06-2012, 13:04
Got all of the above done, including lube service and tire rotation.

Rear pinion seal is weeping, sometime this winter I'll drop it off and bring that up to date.

Other than that, a clean bill of health at 150K bone stock towing and snowplowing miles.

Like a ROCK!

EdHale
11-07-2012, 04:33
I never thought of rotating the batteries and that is something I can do myself pretty easy.

I do use my 4WD including 4LO every chance I get. There is a gravel road I can take occasionally and it is easy to do. One use for 4LO that really comes in handy for me is leveling my 5th wheel RV at a new site. Backing up onto leveling blocks while sitting on gravel needs 4WD at times and 4LO makes it easy to really creep up on the blocks slowly. Works for me.