PDA

View Full Version : LB7 Injectors

PoppaWilley
10-30-2012, 18:52
Alright for the last couple of days I have a light white smoke at idle only when warm. I've searched and read for hours concluding its those darn injectors again...:eek: I'm too late with the lift pumps and mega filter. My question is: Should I change head gaskets and water pump during tear down? My truck just hit 230,000 miles and still runs like a top, and I'm a preventative maintenance kind of guy. I would like this to be my first and last time to tear into the engine. I'll be ready for a newer Duramax after these injectors poop out, lol. Thanks fellas! :)

DmaxMaverick
10-30-2012, 19:44
In for a penny. In for a pound.

With that many miles, head gaskets, injector cups (reseal), water pump, oil cooler, thermostats, coolant, fuel/coolant hoses (under hood, including the turbo coolant), idler/tensioner pulleys, belt, and perhaps a balancer pulley (Fluid Dampr, if you plan on driving the truck to its grave), radiator and I/C flush, wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm sure I left something off the list. It's not my money, so I'm generous.... (although I'm serious)

Kennedy
10-31-2012, 09:36
I would tend to agree that it's probably not a bad idea to do the Head gaskets and water pump. You could get another 500k out of teh existing setup OR you could end up back inside next month. From what we've seen, a properly done head gasket job with studs has been pretty much bulletproof. Doing head gaskets separately exposes the injectors to potentially more dirt.

PoppaWilley
10-31-2012, 09:53
I appreciate the advice guys. My dilemma now is the money. I bought this truck for $10k, spent $3k with Kennedy and $2k on tires. And now I need $6k to $7k to run through it right. On the other hand, I could put trans fluid in the tank to clear smoke and trade it in and let GM fix their own problems. I found a nice 2011 CC Dually LTZ that I love. So I'm debating dropping my cash into repairs or a new rig...hmm... I will have $22k in a 2003 or $45k in a 2011. :confused:

Kennedy
10-31-2012, 10:02
That's a tough one. There will always be a place in my heart for the LB7, but in terms of a work type vehicle, the new ones just keep getting better.

PoppaWilley
11-01-2012, 19:32
Soo...I bought the 2011 Chevy 3500HD CC LB Dually LTZ and it is super nice! :D However they lowballed my LB7 on trade in, so I told them to shove it. Now I'm driving my new one and looking at the old one in the driveway wondering if I wanna tackle it or put a sign on it...

Kennedy
11-02-2012, 06:45
I think you'll like it. Just watch out for those panic stops. There is next to zero travel to take up slack with the newer brakes so what you used to do to "cover" the brakes will start the tires howling and ABS groaning.

More Power
11-02-2012, 15:36
However they lowballed my LB7 on trade in, so I told them to shove it.

How low is low?

PoppaWilley
12-11-2012, 20:37
Oops didn't see your question and I didn't get an email as usual. They offered $9,500 and the trade-in on NADA was $11,400. I still haven't decided what to do with my old truck though. I drive it occasionally and the smoke is minimal. It may not have any problems, but I don't want to take a chance and tear up the motor. On a side note, that new truck is amazing! I have no idea how in the world they made that big truck ride like a Cadillac. I pull a 32 foot enclosed gooseneck, and with this truck there is no need for trailer brakes. It rides unbelievably smooth empty and loaded with any tire pressure. Power is night and day from the LB7 as far as pulling is concerned, though I'm pretty sure my old truck is a bit faster empty. Now the cons: the mileage empty and loaded is way worse, like JK said I'm brake checking all the time lol, the blinkers are ridiculously loud, I can't hear if my truck is running and I miss the old diesel smell, I can't tell if I'm driving a car or truck since its so smooth, DEF sucks period. Merry Christmas Duramax friends!

Kennedy
12-12-2012, 08:39
You should see how it rides with a set of yellow Bilsteins ;)

Seriously, the stock shocks are the same old junk that they've been using for years. I did mine finally at 10k on the clock. One of the rears did not even have enough oomph to fully extend on it's own. Definitely gobs of "air" in the first compression after removal too.

Next warning: If you try to drive anything else like a 5.3 gasser or a responsive LBZ you'll be spinning the tires and making jerky snap starts as the accelerator is so darn different on the LML.

I REALLY like mine. DEF is no big deal just drive until it's down to a couple hundred miles left and add 5 gallons.

Onstar remote link is a cool feature if you have a smart phone. Just be sure you have 5 minutes of time to wait for it to execute a command. :rolleyes:

Kennedy
12-13-2012, 11:38
the blinkers are ridiculously loud,

Aftermarket stereo I assume? That will cause this. No flasher/clickers, the sound system makes the noise.

PoppaWilley
12-13-2012, 12:11
Yessir I found the culprit yesterday. They installed an aftermarket navigation unit and there was a little box under the AC controls that was making all the rackit. I unplugged it and it didn't seem to disable any necessary components.

leolkfrm
12-16-2012, 15:14
your injectors and glow plugs are covered for 10 years and 200,000 miles

DmaxMaverick
12-17-2012, 08:33
your injectors and glow plugs are covered for 10 years and 200,000 miles

Do you have a reference to a new/different extended LB7 injector warranty? The last policy I'm aware of is 7 years or 200K miles. No LB7's are left under this policy, unless there's a new one.

Glow plugs, on the other hand, are covered under the emissions system warranty, and can vary from state to state. There is also a special policy, extending the glow plug warranty, specific to some models/years.

aledo
02-13-2013, 02:38
I have had 1 dodge and (..2) 7.3 liters. I am very fond of the 7.3L but rolled my last one. I have buddies that swear by there Duramax.My neighbor passed and i have first opportunity at his 2002 with 120,000 miles thousand on it. I would like to try something new besides a ford but have had such good luck with the 7.3. I took a 6.0 back to dealer. GM trucks ride so much better and interior is better than all others. I would like to hear insight from folks that have and have had them on the pros and cons and what Ya"ll think of the my situation. I am an insurance adjuster so i put the miles on them.

Thank you

2002 extended cab with with the LB7

Dustdevil1
02-26-2013, 16:47
It's hard to beat a Cummins or a Ford 7.3Liter. The Dodge trannies and Ford 6.0's are a different story. And the Duramax has its drawbacks in the LB7 series. Injectors. Some people have great luck with them, and some, like me, seem to get all the bad ones. About $4-5k to have them replaced, so calculate that into your total cost for the truck if there are any signs of high return flow rates (smoking, rough idle, loud knocking, etc). My LB7 needs injectors right now. Runs great, but it's not a good idea to drive around with bad injectors, as I've read here on some threads.